building a cheap saw

Is there anyone who has ever built a cheap small fixed saw, for next to nothing?

I am thinking the use of a small blade (5 inches) directly mounted on a small surplus motor from sewing machines or washing machine or whatever. I think it could be fixed mounted to a rigid frame, and the table moved upwards to meet the saw.

I know it's impractical, and it's going against the grain of 'bigger is better' sentiment, but hey, start small.

I'm more interested in the tool than in the woodworking itself, so that explains why I am bothering to do this at all.

Hasan

Reply to
Hasdrubal Hamilcar

A sewing machine motor would not have enough power. If you really want to do something this dangerous, make your table saw from a garage sale circular saw. Most ot the work is already done for you. Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
RKP51X

Sure, and they used to sell the plans or give them away. They used mostly plywood and seems like they were out of St Louis and called Higgins or something like that.But is is sorta like cutting firwood. An ax works, a double bit works even better and a cross cut saw is faster, two man even faster and then BEGHOLD- the CHAINSAW! I question why one of these super sharp super fast cutting saws hand saws There has been an awfully lot of wood cut with a handsaw. Why would they not be better for than using a washing machine blade & motor?

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I made a cheap table saw like that: used an extra circular saw with a nice big base, fitted that base to a 3/4 " plywood top in a table and there it was. It hang below the table and could adjust depth and angle. I marked center of blade on the table and then inset a yard stick to be able to measure the cut. Just find you a nice used circular saw at a pawn shop and go for it.

Reply to
James Thompson

find an old chevete - jack up, remove rear wheels, install saw blade.

I knew a guy who used that set up to cut firewood.

Reply to
Mike D2

Thanks, I was sort of hoping to use a small, cheap, fixed saw and use a movable xy table or something (which could be easily built) with it. Or perhaps use a 3.5" circular saw blade and make something for it to track around the piece of wood on. So it's cutting depth could be multipled by 2.

I was hoping to compensate for the lack of power and all, by making it numerically controlled and automatatic. It's just an untested idea right now.

thanks to all, Hasan

Reply to
Hasdrubal Hamilcar

Washing machine motors use thermal overload protection. They'll stop

-- and start up again -- with no warning.

Look up "walking beam saw" for an alternative and maybe more practical DIY approach.

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is the key word.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Do you have anything interesting to say with regards to automatic tools? Please share.

Hasan

Reply to
Hasdrubal Hamilcar

I think you need to learn much much more about woodworking, and woodworking machines, before you try to design a machine.

One description had your saw moving around, and from how I read it, making cuts that were not necessarily in a straight line. Circular saws don't do that. You concept of making up for power is not a rational one. You want to use a cheap or free motor, but want to do CNC stuff. Cheap and CNC are rarely said in the same sentence.

You will forgive me if I think all that is going on here is chain yanking, because you are so uninformed, it has to be that. If you are for real, better go hit the books, and learn a little. Right now, few will respond to you, because you are sooo far off base, they don't know where to start.

Reply to
Morgans

Actually Hasdrubal, I think Skil and Black & Decker beat you to it.

Reply to
Leon

Really bad idea.

Get some time in using a real saw. Then re-think your design.

Andy Dingley