Brought home my Rockwell 6"x48" belt , 12" disk sander home.... (w/pics)

I finally brought home my Delta/Rockwell sander,

motor was a 3450 RPM 3 phase motor and I could not easily find the motor I wanted in 3450 RPM single phase. I decided on a 1.5HP 1725 RPM Leeson cap start cap run motor with a manual reset overload. This required a larger pulley but was not a problem to source.

I will be mounting the new mag starter inside the stand and using the original remote on/off buttons.

I could probably just switch the motor and start using the machine, but I am going to tear it down and paint it, replace the bearings, etc.

I was hoping for an older one, but 6 years is a long enough time to be looking...

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Did you consider keeping the motor and adding a VFD? One complaint people have with those combo sanders is that there is no ideal motor speed for both the belt and the disc. With a VFD one could have the best of both, and avoid changing the motor. These days you can get a VFD for not much more than the price of a motor.

I have a similar Rockwell, but belt only, no disk. Fine machines!

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

A useful tool which should be in every woorworker's/metalworker's shop.

The 6x48 belt/12 disk was the first machine I bought new.

I had used the 12 disk model in H.S. metal shop in the 1950s.

Reply to
peterh5322