Box inlayed with Rose

The Da Vinci Code is bugging the crap out of me. If it weren't for the reference to some box with a rose on it I'd probably stop reading it entirely. I mean seriously - what's all the freaking hype about?

Watch out for those albino religious freaks y'all.

JP

************************** Doing more stupid restoration work too. Just another shitty day in paradise I guess....
Reply to
Jay Pique

Jay, I am planning to build a cryptex and the box with the removable rose inlay. Should be fun.

I enjoyed Dan Brown's other books as well. The DaVinci Code was a very good read. I think most of the hype/controversy comes from the supposition Dan makes about the Holy Grail.

Dave

TeamCasa

I like the information about the church and the grail, it's the Robert Ludlum-esque "they're taking off cross country in a Range Rover pursued by a mad albino" stuff I can't seem to stomach.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Just read a little more, the mix of history and pseudo history just gets better. Dave

TeamCasa

My problem with it is that his writing is that he doesn't get the pseudo-science close enough to right to avoid jarring me out of suspension of disbelief.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Agreed, to a point. It is after all, a work of fiction and as such, any facts, historical or sience, have to be given a wide berth.

Dave

TeamCasa

Artistic license goes only so far. If he wants to introduce gratuitous pseudo-science with the amount of detail that he uses, he needs to learn to seduce the reader into accepting it instead of tossing it out in the middle of the floor for the cat to sniff.

Reply to
J. Clarke

J. Clarke responds:

Who you guys writing about? Someone compared his work to Ludlum, a guy who never did learn that guns don't have "handles" and that knives do have hilts.

Didn't hurt his sales, though.

Charlie Self "Property is not the sacred right. When a rich man becomes poor it is a misfortune, it is not a moral evil. When a poor man becomes destitute, it is a moral evil, teeming with consequences and injurious to society and morality." Lord Acton

Reply to
Charlie Self

He he, then you should stay away from his previous book "Angels and Demons" where the bad guys run around with a jar full of antimatter.

OWWR, you could use a copy of "Angels and Demons" like a mitt to hold your TS blade while you loosen the arbor nut.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

And then there is the myriad of authors who, after carefully identifying a handgun as being a revolver, go on to mention the weapon's safety. They always lose me, then and there.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Tom Veatch responds:

Not quite as large a number, but too many, also talk about silenced revolvers.

And then there are those who are always going on about .38 caliber, or, as in the case of the guy who writes the Spenser novels, .12 gauge shotguns and .9mm handguns.

Charlie Self "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right." Thomas Paine

Reply to
Charlie Self

Dan Brown.

They're both proof of the notion that it's not what you say that counts, it's how you say it--they both keep you wondering what's going to happen next right up to the last page.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's the one where they were treating a hypersonic X-plane like a bizjet was it not?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm not sure what part you thought was pseudo-scientific, but my suspension of disbelief was shot with the unveiling of the whole historical conspiracy theory. Without giving it away, I found the entire historical theory and the evidence given for it to be highly uncompelling and bordering on the absurd.

I thought the gratuitous effort in the book was the fairly obvious appeal to a Hollywood screen play. The story he chose to wrap his unveiling of the conspiracy theory seemed tailor made for the silver screen. I heard recently that there is a Davinci Code movie in the works.

Despite my comments, I recommend the book to anyone I talk to about it. It's a really entertaining read and a great conversation starter. I shot through it in about three days and I am famous for starting and not finishing books.

OWWR, one of the central themes of the book concerns a fairly well known carpenter.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

-snip-

OWWR?

DAGS of the Web: Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway One Woman's Writing Retreat

Neither seems to fit

DAGS of the Wreck - 23 hits, no definition

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

LMAO!!

How is that different that any other author? Including Clancy, Follet, Michener, ect.

The Illuminati is at work in this NG!

Dave

TeamCasa

Eezackly. Sounds like it already got to ya. It also was a very entertaining read, but my eyes nearly stuck in the back of my head from all the rolling they did. I was surprised he would use such a similar story hook in the two books- Some guy dies in an interesting way, Langdon gets called to the crime scene in the middle of the night, a hot young female relative shows up to help solve the crime, mayhem and car chases ensue...

But hey, both of them kept me turning the pages.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Obligatory WoodWorking Reference.

Oops, it appears in the FAQ as OBWW. Didn't mean to confuse.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

So in which Clancy, Follet, Michener, etc novel did this happen? I'm sorry, but the three you mention usually get their technical stuff fairly close.

Or perhaps you don't understand that "X-plane" doesn't mean "special airplane that goes very fast", it means "one off prototype built using unproven engineering principles for the purpose of proving those principles or finding out the hard way that they are in error, that requires mountains of infrastructure to keep in operation, usually needs major repairs of one sort or another after a flight, is renowned for blowing up at engine start or falling apart in mid-air, and that often has unusual flight characteristics that make it nearly unflyable."

Now when has Clancy or Follet or Michener had something like that, developed at great expense by the government, cut loose for a bunch of civilians to use for personal transportation?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sorry for the second post, but it just occurred to me a simpler way to explain the problem. "Our hero (who is not supposed to have super powers) looked that the 4-foot circular saw with the massive steam engine driving it at full power, stuck his finger in the way of the teeth, and the saw stalled instantly, thus saving the heroine".

That's the kind of whopper we're talking about.

Reply to
J. Clarke