More city code violation crap

College students turn school bus into a swimming pool (intentionally).

City code inspector says that's a violation. Or three.

You can tell city employees never went to college.

HeyBub

From that article: ""We're willing to do anything to make it legitimate to stay," Heaton said, in hopes of making the bus safe and acceptable under city laws. Since the inspector's visit, the men have drained the water from the pool and plan to move the bus farther away from the power lines."

If the kids don't have a problem with wanting to make it legal, why do you?

If you hadn't read about it, and had instead seen, you would have taken a picture and posted it here saying what idiots the people were to have the pool so close to the power lines.

RicodJour

You're right. I forgot.

Power lines seek out swimming pools.

Reply to
HeyBub

Pools should have a sturdy locked fence around them.

Reply to
Master Betty

Even with a 14' fence, a HS student climbed the fence and then up the high-dive board.

It was a dark moon night when he did a swan dive at the deep end, into an empty pool.

Reply to
Oren

Here the ordnance is 6' max....I think.

One morning, back when I had a hole in the back of my fence, I found a full grown armadillo in there. My neighbor calls it a death trap (behind my back).

Reply to
Master Betty

We can only hope he was removed from the gene pool prior to breeding (left no pregnant girlfriends).

Since when do city building inspectors have any say over VEHICLES? A vehicle is not a structure attached to land. As long as the vehicle is operable (and moves under its own power), I'd say to tell this building inspector to kiss my ass. Your state's DMV and police functions have jurisdiction over this, not building and safety.

Reply to
D. Stussy

It would be covered under the zoning code. As mentioned in the article: "The bus is also more than 35 feet long, making it too long to be parked at the house even if registered as an RV, according to Dimuccio."

RicodJour

Don't confuse a "building inspector" with a "code enforcement" officer.

UofF students frequently acquire "yard ornaments".

GO GATORS!!!

Reply to
Oren

Way back in the 50's, at night we used to toss alligators in the "girls" swimming pool which was visible from the upperclass dorms. The screams the next morning would have the entire dorm laughing.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The moment that they hooked it up to a pool pump and the requisite electrical branch circuit to power it the bus stopped being a motor vehicle. Local code officials can regulate vehicles in terms of were they may be stored or parked. The article indicated that the city of Gainsville does not permit vehicles of that size to be stored in the neighborhood. If they can build the whole assembly onto the buss chassis including the power supply then the city can only force them to move it every seventy two hours.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne

What happens is there is a nightclub fire and many people die, some kid drowns, someone gets electrocuted and dies needlessly...

Then there is public "outrage" that something should be done to prevent these things from happening again...

Then they come up with new building codes. The inspectors enforce them.

The codes are there to protect YOU and YOUR family! You're barking up the wrong tree getting mad at city inspectors. Might instead try the "outraged public" who caused these rules to be created in the first place...

Reply to
Bill

If you fill it full of beer is it called an open container, Bus pool, is that like car pooling.

Reply to
ransley

I guess "hooked it up to ... the requisite electrical branch circuit" completely prohibits electric cars.

Reply to
HeyBub

Some feel codes are NOT there to protect them or theirs. The codes exist to:

a) To assuage the moral indignation of those who think they know what's best for others, and b) Provide faux jobs for those otherwise suitable only for medical experimentation.

I'm kinda buying in to that philosophy.

Reply to
HeyBub

Florida allows this "fence" to be a screen enclosure. I suppose, once they get the bus away from the service drops, they can just string screening over the roof ribs. If the ladder was folded up with a latch 53" high , they could even argue the access was more than 53" above ground and compliant. The other open question would be bonding and GFCI protection. The pump would require a twist lock plug if it was within 5' of the "above ground pool". I friendly electrical inspector could help them make this compliant fairly easily. I suppose there is some local pressure making this difficult.

Reply to
gfretwell

One irritating thing about codes is they are like algae, they start out small and only focus on real problems but over time all the do-gooders whine incessantly until the city adds more and more stupid stuff until the code becomes smothering. If you strictly go by the code here you can't replace an electric outlet yourself or replace your own water heater but have to have a licensed electrician or plumber do it for you. It's always "for the children" type of thinking. it's BS.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Even with dark moon night it's quite obvious if there's water in it or not. I mean really, think about it.

Either the story is pure BS or the student was wacked out on something to the extreme. And if the student was that wacked out, how could they get over a 14' fence.

Reply to
Red Green

I think you are referring to this.

Reply to