More city code violation crap

I agree. I never dove in a creek, without first going into the water. Checking for depth, cypress knees, etc. kids have broken necks diving into a shallow creek from a bridge railing.

I went to the HS at the time, so it's not BS. Maybe the fence was 12', heck it was the 60s.

Reply to
Oren

No. It was a HS in the 60s. The pool was a public pool, directly adjacent the school.

Reply to
Oren

I don't follow city codes nor do I get any permits. It is my house, I paid for it and no government inspector is allowed in my house. But, I always keep safety in mind when doing a project and avoid doing projects that extend beyond my walls. Every house has *something* out-of-code, city inspections are a load of crap.

Reply to
Phisherman

I remember the days of high-rises without sprinkler systems, reason being my dad was a firefighter and it upset him to discuss it. Everything around us, over two stories?, where I live now has been retrofitted.

I didn't think much about codes until I moved into a condo that had been long neglected (longer story:o). There were no functioning lights in atrium, stairway or front walk, in spite of there being elderly and/or vision impaired residents. Busted sidewalk steps. Pot holes in pkg. lot. Rats in attics.

Since living here , I've seen an owner do major remodel without permit. He screwed through the cabinet of the microwave he installed (found by next owner, after first owner doubled his money). Another newer owner burned out some of the wiring to our unit by nailing new flooring through the conduit in the unit above ours. Wiring had numerous black char marks on it and burned through completely in at least one spot. He blew our breaker three times (the final time) before he paid attention. When he went on to plumbing, his plumber didn't notice a leak in something newly installed until I saw water dripping from bathroom ceiling.

Reply to
norminn

And your point is, exactly, what?

Seems to me the tenants - including you - are willing to put up with a few inconveniences in return for (no doubt) significantly reduced rent.

George McGovern bought a large motel with the dream of turning it into a conference center for progressive ideas. He later said that, had he been an entrepreneur prior to his stint in Congress, he would have been a Republican! One of his major gripes was the $150,000 it cost to retrofit each room with sprinklers. It wasn't exactly 'for the children' in that EVERY room had a sliding glass door that opened into the pool area or parking lot.

Reply to
HeyBub

We went through it the other way. Zoning was not even issue because all the farmers wanted to stay away from zoning so they could sell their farms for whatever they wanted... until one of them actually did. After the concert venue was put in the middle of nowhere, the farmers rammed through zoning.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

They aren't tenants, from my reading. They are the owners of the individual units. One of many reasons I'll never buy a condo- you have to have somebody knowledgeable and trustworthy riding herd on any owners making internal changes, to make sure they don't trash the place for everybody. Which means you have non-trivial condo fees forever, to pay for said individual, in addition to the care and feeding of the common areas.

If I can't afford a stand-alone house in whatever area I need to be, I'll just store or dispose of most of my excess stuff, and rent an apartment. (Unless I trip across a house that rents for less than buying one, of course.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Why? I would think that the kinds of concerts that take place at concert venues, the farmers would want the damn thing as far away from normal folk as possible.

Reply to
HeyBub

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Then that explains it. The days of staring at the sun and seeing God. Student was wacked out on something to the extreme.

Reply to
Red Green

I should have said in the middle of THEIR nowhere. No zoning, so one of the farmers sold out to a precursor of Live Nation. So basically, they zoned against them damn hippies (grin).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

And now the damn hippies are the old fogies who are running things. Probably still smoking........:o)

Reply to
norminn

Oh. Okay, then. In one of the suburbs here, a Muslim group bought some property to build a new mosque.

The next door farmer put up a sign: "Pig races every Friday night."

There are ways, other than zoning, to encourage neighborly behavior. There are people who advertise: "My six-gun for your six-pack."

Reply to
HeyBub

The car that is parked and being charged is subject to parking laws, and zoning and other laws on parked vehicles.

If the electrical line to the car is AC of house voltage or the like, then the line has to comply with electrical codes and the car, maybe excluding portion downstream of a "Class II power supply" or the like, would be subject to UL listing.

If the charging circuitry is external to the car, then permanently installed parts and the input power feed are subject to the electrical code, and the charging unit itself is subject to UL listing or recognized equivalent.

Mobile swimming pools, when parked, do not get out of laws and building codes on swimming pools by also being vehicles.

Don Klipstein

Sadly, too many people in Philadephia cannot afford to hire an $EXPEN$IVE$ Philadelphia electrician, but also do not know how to properly repair/replace an existing one going *snap*-*crackle*-*pop*.

The electrician's union (among others) are very strong in Philadelphia. On the other hand, so many Philadelphians value education so little that it would be a waste on them to teach basic home electrical repairs in "home economics" classes.

Any ideas? Force people to graduate high school, demonstrate competence at reading and understanding a newspaper, sorting mail and finding a known number room in an office building, writing a basic business letter, and to demonstrate competence in basic home repairs including basic electrical ones, in order to keep their gonads?

Don Klipstein

Back in my college days, I had a few evenings being both spectacularly "whacked out" and "spectacularly physicaly able".

Sometimes in some people, beer and adrenaline can do that. Add some effects of the glutamic acid (basically glutamate) in a yeast-rich beer, a sensitivity to invigorating music, maybe a bit of bipolar tendencies from maddening pressures such as engineering school or growing up gay in the USA in the early 1980's (I had both) and/or whatever else - possibly manic due to recently having fallen in love, or from anger related to recently having dumped a lover.

I would expect there to be a few college students who can climb a 14 foot fence even when so intoxicated they have trouble walking a straight line, and they tend to not be "turned back" even by injuries just short of being worth an ER visit. In such a state, they may fairly easily see the lack of water in the pool - *after getting airborne*.

Swim using the buddy system!

Don Klipstein

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com:

The alternative is to find someone who works or has recently worked under a licensed electrician and wants to do some extra work "on the side". They are usually either trying to learn for a license or don't have some of the non-electric skills required for a license. They can do the work efficiently and to code, but of course you'll have to trust them ... Here in North Jersey we have found someone like that. Of course, knowing yourself a bit of what the work should involve is a BIG plus.

YMMV ...

Reply to
Han

It's your house as long as you own it but when you sell it to me, or your estate sells it, now it is MY house and I don't want to inherit all the f_ _ k ups you created 'cause your libertarian ways adn lack of knowledge of even they most basic construction techniques resulted in.

Not directed at you specifically - just the generic you.

Reply to
Doug Brown