bosch jigsaw

have been satsified with my bosch jigsaw

but it would really benefit from having a light

not sure why there is no light

it would not add much to the cost and it would be really helpful

also annoying to have to blow out the dust so it would be another useful feature to have a nozzle to blow out the dust

otherwise it is a great tool

the quick blade change is excellent as is the blade angle of cut adjustment

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:o3jkti$9p8$3 @dont-email.me:

Someone must own a patent somewhere... Although I'd consider it obvious to anyone in the industry: An integrated light shining on the working area of the tool.

IIRC, my 1590 does have a blower... it's good enough. It's the switch with two positions.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I see you are talking about these brand new high faluting jigsaws with all these fancy dandy luxuries. Wow. My Bosch is about 20 years old now. Good top handle design. These lights and blower things had not been invented back then.

Reply to
russellseaton1

You'll be getting a new one soon then. Mine was about the same vintage when it wore out a part that is no longer available (at least not in the US--Bosch UK lists it but won't ship across the pond).

Reply to
J. Clarke

Mine has a hand crank, if I want a light, there are always candles.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

FrozenNorth wrote in news:o3jvps$m5b$ snipped-for-privacy@uponpenaltyofdeath.dont-email.me:

It must have taken quite some time to get your hand steady enough to follow the line while cranking.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

good to know this one comes from good lineage

the cordless makita drill and driver have lights and it is a very useful feature

Reply to
Electric Comet

Cordless drills (drills, not drivers) had been invented when I bought my Bo sch jigsaw. On drills lights make sense because you can and do drill when you do not have a good site line to what you are drilling. And drill in sm all enclosed spaces with poor visibility. But jigsaws are usually used whe re you can see what you are cutting and follow the line. With drills you a re laying on your belly with your arm stretched out and drilling a hole or driving a screw. You don't operate jigsaws like that. So lights on jigsaw s make just a little more sense than lights on circular saws. Do people wa nt lights on their worm drive Skilsaw?

Reply to
russellseaton1

IIRC, the Festool has a strobe light. That's a different and useful idea (i.e. patentable).

Sucking is better than blowing.

Reply to
krw

Sure. All light helps.

Reply to
krw

that would be useful also

anything to improve visibility is good

maybe wearing hunting glasses will help

as for blowing the dust they could use the wind coming from the motor on the jigsaw and from the blade on the skilsaw and direct it at the leading edge

Reply to
Electric Comet

Yep. I had a Crapsman router that came with a very useful light. Made it much easier to watch the bit work its way out of the chuck.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

LOL! Makes perfect sense.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

YES!!!!!!!

I'm young, I've got good low-light vision. I don't need much light, but a single LED on either side of the blade would be nice when I'm trying to freehand a cut. The saw casts a shadow, I cast a shadow, sometimes that line gets to be rather dark.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

krw wrote in news:3bjr5cp3effcbmilim0g15lp1ii5857lcn@

4ax.com:

*trim*

Not always. (Do you like to argue?) Try this experiment (Bill Pentz came up with it): Take a ping pong ball and two straws. One person can only blow through the straw and the other can only suck. Try to get the ball to go out of a circle or into an area. The person blowing will win every game.

If you need to see a line, a blower can be more efficient than trying to suck the dust away.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

And if you're cutting steel with a lubricant (which Bosch saws will do--the old ones even had a powered lubricant dispenser accessory available that was driven by the saw) do you really want to be sucking the lubricant and chips into the mechanism?

Of course you can always go green, but even green doesn't suck with the saw's mechanism, they just provide a dust port to which a (preferably green) vacuum can be attached.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, if you're into balls... ;-)

But then you have to suck it away later. Except for the bigger tail, I find the vacuum much better.

Reply to
krw

Into the mechanism? I don't think you want to blow it around the room, either.

Sure. I wouldn't want to steal power from the saw for the vacuum, nor would I want to control but the saw and the vacuum.

Reply to
krw

And yet that has been normal practice ever since sawing was invented.

So you favor a jigsaw with a vacuum attachment. While that is certainly OK if you are sawing in your mother's living room, on a construction site controlling the dust is of considerably less importance.

Reply to
J. Clarke

For free hand cutting long lines, the saw needs a laser light to mark the line. A laser makes it super simple to follow a line for even a beginner. If you go off the line a tad, it is immediately obvious. All circular saws should have a laser light.

Reply to
Jack