Bosch Jig Saw

What a joy! Fired up a new Bosch 1590 EVS this weekend. Gift from the LOML. My goodness, gracious, does it cut clean! I used it on a couple of minor cuts that I'd normally just grab the handsaw for. That damn thing crosscuts a twobyfer straighter, faster and cleaner than I can with the HS. Probably means I need a new HS - 35 year old Craftsman Krome Edge that's never seen a file.

After using a truly anicient Skil jig saw for many years (as seldom as possible as its cuts were slow and nasty), the Bosch was an epiphany. All the advice I read on it in here was spot-on (not that unusual if you pick your posters). Thanks.

I KNOW it's keeper. It's going to live right by my tailess Makita drill, on the bench, ready to hand.

Hmm, almost wish it was tailess.

Reply to
Tom Banes

I just got a new 1591 barrel grip and it is also a fantastic tool to use. It's one like Norm uses.

Reply to
Scott

ditto the barrel grip, ditto the fantastic.

jlc

Reply to
noonenparticular

I agree completely! Excellent saw, epiphany after using an old B&D. Bosch does make a cordless jigsaw, and from everything I've read , it's about as good as the 'tailed' one, just costs an extra hundred bucks. So if you have the dough you can lose the cord. But even the cord on the new bosch is so much nicer (softer, longer, doesn't pull the tool around) than the old jigsaw (or old anything else) that I think I'll keep mine around a little longer just to enjoy that. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yeah, I got mine a while back and like they say - it cuts wood like butter! So darn smooth and a joy to use. I too had an old jigsaw and perhaps am comparing it to that, but still it cuts clean, straight, and has great control.

Enjoy!!!

Jack

Tom Banes wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

My experience also, Although I bought it as a Model 135 GST (Europe and Pacific regions p/n) It seems to cut anything, and dead straight too!

Some tools don't matter on price, I have a good Makita disk grinder and a few Chiwanese Cheapies and can't really tell the difference.

Jigsaws are different, the Bosch is well worth every penny you save for it, IMO

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Okay...newbie here...let me get this straight...

With one of these babies (and the right technique), could I cut through, say 4/4 cherry and actually have a straight cut? And by straight, I don't mean "following the lines," but rather one without blade deflection?

My current jigsaw is used for nothing but getting a piece of too-long board out of the way...no matter how slowly I cut, I always end up with an irregularly "beveled" cut.

What say the board members?

Reply to
wood_newbie

I'm not sure I understand the question. With the jigsaw, it'll cut whereever you guide it - so I always "follow the lines". Whatever line I follow, that's where it cuts.

Jack

wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

If you use the appropriate Progressor blade and just let the blade cut without undue presure, that's pretty much the case.

Bosch "Progressor" blades are excellent and they have some that are a little thicker specifically to minimize blade deflection.

Steve - A happy Bosch owner.

Reply to
Stephen M

A feature of the new Bosch is it has a clasping mechanism below the normal guides that can be engaged when the cut has to be precise. It rubs on either side of the blade to keep it stiff. Although not 100% foolproof, it really helps keep the blade from deflecting

Reply to
ks

Okay...newbie here...let me get this straight...

With one of these babies (and the right technique), could I cut through, say 4/4 cherry and actually have a straight cut? And by straight, I don't mean "following the lines," but rather one without blade deflection?

My current jigsaw is used for nothing but getting a piece of too-long board out of the way...no matter how slowly I cut, I always end up with an irregularly "beveled" cut.

What say the board members?

Reply to
wood_newbie

I'm not talking about "following the lines," my garbage saw will do that.

I'm talking about the cut you're attemtping to make actually being cut at 90 degrees...too much blade deflection means your cuts are bevelled when they're not intended to be. It's the #1 problem with most jigsaws.

Reply to
wood_newbie

it might cut on the line, but as the blade travels up and down, cheap jigsaws allow the blade to flex, thereby giving you a bevel cut. Like my old Wen unit... the thicker the material, the more obvious the bevel.

Dave

Reply to
David

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message

Bosch, yes. B & D, no.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"ks" wrote in news:WSUZe.250470$9A2.178917@edtnps89:

It works, too. This Bosch jigsaw is worth the investment.

Lately, I find that I'm using it to 'break down' sheet goods, before they go to the table saw, rather than using a circular (framing) saw. Used with a clamping guide, I get pretty close. Good, sharp (Bosch brand) blades, of the proper type, really help.

I also used this saw recently to trim aluminum bathroom shower door extrusions, where I thought I might need to search out a metal cutting bandsaw at a neighbor's shop. Worked pretty well.

This is one of those tools that I would buy again, without even looking at the competition. It's that good.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Reply to
Mike Berger

Mike Berger wrote in news:dh9ddn$mdm$ snipped-for-privacy@roundup.shout.net:

Certainly a gloatable price, on an excellent tool.

You weren't complaining, were you?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I agree with "pretty close"-- certainly close enough if you're going to re-trim them on the table saw. I don't think it's a complete replacement for a circular saw with a guide rail, but it's good enough in many cases (and IMHO easier to use), whereas the cheap POS jigsaws aren't.

And you definitely want the Bosch brand blades.

Reply to
Ron Bean

For those of you who own the Bosch 1590EVS, where is it manufactured?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Dan Epstein