board mat'l query

Folks -

A client gave me a cutting board that belonged to his gramma... Wants 5 copies.

The original board is cut out in the shape of a pig, approximately 12x18 out of a single piece of 4/4 what looks like VG Doug Fir... Not my first choice of woods for a cutting board...

I think that a glued up panel of either Maple or Ash would be better... I already told the client that I can't do it out of a single board, so that's okay....

Comments? Input?

Thanks!

John Moorhead

Reply to
john moorhead

let me see if I understand this: your client has a cutting board made from one piece of wood, yet you declare that you can't provide a duplicate? What's your reasoning, if I may ask?

dave

john moorhead wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

That's interesting John but why did you tell him you can't do it out of a single board?

Did he not ask why?

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Dave -

The original cutting board is probably close to 100 years old. My lumber supplier can't provide 6/4 material in Ash, Maple or Fir any wider than 8", so that's why it'll have to be a glue-up... I need to start with a panel almost 14" wide...

Thanks!

John

Reply to
john moorhead

maple's the classic cutting board wood....

Reply to
Bridger

I don't know why you can't make it out of a single board, although it's not he strongest choice. Other than that, I'm partial to curly maple, especially right after a coat of mineral oil. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

You should've seen the look that SWMBO just gave me after I read the message to her. Toned down, her comment was "He's doing this for money and he can't get wider than 12" stock?" She then pointed out to me that several years ago I made a bunch of cutting boards for Claude Moore Farm and they were wider than 12" out of single boards. May I suggest that you look around and see if you can find other suppliers than the one you currently use. Dedicated woodstores rather than the BORG should do it. Where are you, someone can probably point you in the right direction. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Dave -

I live in Lakeport, a small town in Northern California, about 3 hrs north of SF and 2 hrs West of Sacramento. The two places I can buy hardwood are in Santa Rosa, about 3 hrs RT. Mt Storm Forest Products has stock up to 8" wide in 6/4, since I want the cutting board to be ~1 to 1 1/4 inches. The other, Mead Clark Lumber, ONLY has 4/4 (3/4 S4S) and rarely has boards that are going to give me 12" width *finished*. I don't shop BORG for lumber... c'mon...

The client doesn't mind if it's glued up, and it seems that it would be less prone to warp if it were glued up rather than a single piece of stock, especially if it's flatsawn. So, as Ross Perot says, I'm all ears...

If you know of anyplace where I can get some 13 or 14" wide 6/4 rift or vertical sawn maple or ash at $6 and $4 a BF, in my shop...

Thanks in advance for any leads!

John Moorhead

Reply to
john moorhead

John- my dad lives about 8 or 10 miles north of lakeport. he's a woodworker, quite skilled though these days he's more involved with arts council stuff than woodworking. I'll ask him if he has any good sources.... Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

hell he could have taken your advise:Follow the directions below and in two weeks you could have up to $20000.00 in your PayPal account.

Spam....

Reply to
airbrush ken

"john moorhead" wrote in news:HCoJb.44919$xX.183370@attbi_s02:

John, I know Lakeport a little. My folks have been retired at Middletown for maybe 15 years.

In the Sonoma County Woodworkers newsletter last year was a writeup of a guy who harvests and dries a wide variety of species. Eric Gustafson, 707-

526-3503, located on the east side of Santa Rosa, open Fridays only, I think, but call any time.

Sonoma County Woodworkers guild has some serious folks associated with it, including many who are published, and at least one with a TV show. I figure, if these folks think this fellow is worth talking to, then maybe I could take a look, when I next need to refill the storage racks.

And enjoy that 'new' saw!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

John,

Have you gone to the order desk and asked about special order? Any place I have delt with would be able to special order stock to order. Cost per board foot goes up. But they can get it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy Neudecker

Hey John,

I've got some 2 X 14 VGDF for sale at $13 a lineal foot. Beautiful stuff!

Reply to
papaboop