Birds eye veneering

You might start by looking at these two links:

and

jev

I hope I can get some advise on my little project. I'm attempting to apply birds eye maple veneer (1/32") to a drawer front and dresser top. The glue I'm using is Iron on Veneering with a Heat Lock glue. Does anyone have any experience with this glue? My first attempt on the drawer front was a disaster when the veneer split and had to be removed, the second attempt resulted in a veneer that has rippled (probably because I spritzed it with water first). This is my first experience with veneering and I'm learning that I need help. How critical is temperature and humidity? The drawer front is about 9x30 inches and the dresser top is about 20x32 inches. Is birds eye maple particularly difficult to work with? Should I use a softener on the veneer first? Questions, questions and not enough answers. Should I veneer larger pieces or cut more narrow pieces? The dresser is my daughters' and once I'm done I'll never have to look at it again. Any advise or comments anyone can provide with be greatly appreaciated. Thanks

frank

Reply to
<franks