Birds eye maple-Workability

I never used birds eye maple before, but I plan on buying some tomorrow to finish a table.

Is it any more difficult to work than regular maple? Chip out any easier? etc.

Reply to
stoutman

It will chip at the "eyes". Use a sharp blade, get close, sand. It will look beautiful.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Maybe try lightly dampening w/ h2o prior to plaining

Reply to
tgonce

Chips like anything with short-grained random areas. Think close curly, only in spots, not rows.

Sharp, skewed, and slight on the surface planer can minimize chipping to cabinet-scraper depth fairly easily.

Once took a 1/16 depth turn on the planer when my eldest had already taken one, unknown to me. Believe me, 12" of birdseye can dim the lights pretty well. Had a bit of burn until the motor sped up, but otherwise good. Blades were fresh off the Makita sharpener.

Reply to
George