Bies Rails Only For 30" Capacity?

I am re-arranging my shop and have decided that I don't really have the space for the 50" Biesemeyer on my Unisaw. I have a good circular saw/guide system for larger pieces, so I'd like to convert from the 50" capacity to the 30" capacity. I have a Biesemeyer commercial fence. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the guide rails for the Bies? After noodling around Delta's site and elsewhere, I've found:

  1. Just the fence itself;
  2. Just the longer rails (for the 50" to-the-right-of-the-blade capacity).
  3. The rails for the 30" capacity WITH the fence.

But, I've yet to see anywhere where I can buy JUST the shorter rails. Am I forced to buy the whole fence/rails system and then e-bay my old fence?

Thanks-

Reply to
bradnh

when i bought my pm66 i didn't have the room for 50" rails either so i ordered it with 30" rails.i don't see why you couldn't cut the rails down.i'm assuming from your post that is what you have.

Reply to
woodarama

Why not simply cut the rails and table insert?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Frankly did not occur to me. I'm not home now but I recall them being fairly thick, heavy (massive) items. But I suppose I could take a hacksaw to them? The other advantage to this would be that I could make them "custom length" to just the size that fits.

Reply to
bradnh

Yup.

A reciprocating or jigsaw with the proper blade would probably also work.

Reply to
B a r r y

The rails for a Biesemeyer fence is made up of commonly available rectangular tube stock and angle iron. If you think you may want to go back to a longer fence sometime later check with a metal distributor in your area. I've bought all the necessary steel from a local salvage distributor for under $30.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

If the rails are aluminum, you could cut them to the length you want on a miter-saw or table saw with a good carbide-tooth blade.

Jack

Reply to
John Flatley

Nope. Thick, heavy steel. But it does seem cuttable with a hacksaw. Thanks-

If the rails are aluminum, you could cut them to the length you want on a miter-saw or table saw with a good carbide-tooth blade.

Jack

Reply to
bradnh

Longer can always be shorter(with a saw). You might get lucky and find a 30" guide set on Biesemeyer, but that is NOT a hot seller and is there fore much harder to come by.

Cut it down yourself is your best option.

Biesemeyer dealers will be glad to order you a front rail.

snipped-for-privacy@volcanomail.com wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

If you feel uncomfortable cutting the stock, take the rail to a machine shop and they will handle it quite easily.

snipped-for-privacy@volcanomail.com wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Or someone doing wrought iron work or a steel fabricator. They usually have abrasive cutoff wheels and would likely be less expensive than a machine shop. Just have them go slow so as to not burn the paint off.

Regards,

Wes, who bought the 30" fence in the first place [g]

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Two options:

Take your guide rail to a metal shop that has a power hack saw or metal cutting band saw and have them cut it off. Doubt they will charge you very much to make one cut.

Call Biesemeyer direct and ask the very nice customer service lady if you can buy a 30" rail directly.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

The tube is 1/8" thick and the angles are less than 1/4" thick. Both are easily cut with a horizontal bandsaw or an abrasive chopsaw. These will leave a smooth square cut. They are common tools--you might check with your buddies to see if one of them has one.

You could use a handheld hacksaw, reciprocating saw, metal cutting circular saw, worm drive wood circular saw with abrasive wheel, or angle grinder with cutoff wheel, but all of these will leave the edge more or less "mangled". Unless you don't care...

Reply to
AL

I know I'm a day late here but I'd be interested in trading, where are you?

***
Reply to
Knothead

***