Best table saw fence

Hi,

I'm planning the purchase of a new fence for my old King TS, I though of Accusquare, but there are quite a few systems out there.

Align a Rip, Biesemeyer, Excalibur,

Any comments, and how does Accusquare compare to the others.

Thanks.

Reply to
Yves

Buy Canadian. I have a King saw and I plan to get the Mule fence.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

I have an Excalibur and it works really well. Very accurate up to 1/64" and better for cutting tolerances. Some people don't like them because they fasten down on both sides of the table saw as compare to a Biesemeyer which clamps down only at the front. I can see advantages to both types. One thing I like about my Excalibur is that it has to slots along the top of it for use with jigs and T-nuts. Different saws have different options. Suggest you go to a woodworking show or find dealers for both types and check them out yourself before making a decision.

You're also going to have to decide how much money you want to spend on a fence and guide. You could probably get away with spending as little as $200 (Canadian) or up $600 or more like the one on Lee Valley Tools website.

Upscale

I bought the Biesemeyer based on recommendations I'd seen here. It's close enough to perfect for me. Haven't tried the others.

DonkeyHody

Reply to
DonkeyHody

It's a toss-up between the Unimeyer, and the Beisalibur, and the Accu-RIp..

Seriously, _Any_ of the major names are "good stuff", get the one that 'feels right' to you. Some _hands-on_ time, just playing with the adjustments, not necessarily acctualy doing any cutting, is critical to making a good decision.

If you do significant amount of work with 'jigs', etc, or plan to, take into consideration _how_ they mount to the fence.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I'm a biessemeyer fan myself. I've used a few of them and this one tops them all imho. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Thanks, all for your comments.

No one in my area carries Fences of different makes, I might have to wait 'till the woodshow in Ottawa... in november.

If I can't wait, Biesemeyer, General, LeeValley and Accusquare... I'll go get a coin!!! They are, between 245.00 to 500.00 (CA$)

At least, I removed Align a rip and Excalibur, to add LeeValley I knew about this one but thought it was too expensive, and a friend just bought a General 350 TS and is impressed with the native fence.

"Slowhand" > Accusquare, but there are quite a few systems out there.

Reply to
Yves

Yves responds:

Native fence? I'm not sure I want to know how that thing is dressed!

The fence you call the Lee Valley is the HTC. I did a review of fences that popped up not too long ago in Woodworker's Journal. All the fences had something going for them, but, IMO, the HTC was the best Biesemeyer clone available. And it has improvements over the Biese itself.

Nice to see Rob agrees with me.

Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

take a look here.

skeezics

Incra is AWESOME!!!!!!

I love mine. Have it on a Jet Contractor saw and it's a fantastic combination!!!

Reply to
Elmar

Whet I did was get a fence from biesemeyer from their scratch-n-dent page and make the rails from locally purchased steel. total cost was about $150. US.

Reply to
bridger

My PM66 came with a Biesemeyer fence and I love it. I've made several jigs that fit over the top of it. It removes easy and adjustments are accurate. I really like the locking mechanism.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi,

Finally I went to a tools store that carries, Biesemeyer, General, Unifence (delta) and King.

And I decided to go with the General, it's the one that had the same feeling, since all of them appear to have the same precision.

And it's made here in Quebec!!!

Thanks.

"Phisherman" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Yves

Vega is a better one.

Reply to
Ace

One concern I don't see mentioned much is how well the fence stays parallel to the blade at different positions on the rail. Seems to me that the fence will only be as consistently parallel as the rail is straight, and very small deviances at the rail would seem to be magnified at the end of the fence. Can it be assumed that the Biesemeyer rail is straight enough? Are tolerances listed somewhere for this stuff?

Reply to
ap

Get a Vega. You won't be sorry.

Reply to
Ace

=========================== I have had a Biesmeyer on my saw for almost 15 years ... and I love it.

Just rock solid ... plus I can not remember when i had to re set the thing...IF EVER...

I can not compare the newer clones of the Biesmeyer because honestly I stopped looking at fences the day I mounted mine...just no need to replace a great fence with anything else...

It does lack a micro adjustment ...but again I see no need for that anyway...

Bob Griffiths `

Reply to
Bob G.

No complaints with my Biesmeyer. I've used it for over 10 years and it is very accurate.

Reply to
Phisherman