Dewalt Table Saw and After Market Fence

Anyone out there with the Dewalt DW764 Tablesaw replace the fence yet? I would like to replace the fence on mine and am looking for suggestions. The DW764 fence is adequate but doesn't work well with jigs or when using on the left side of the blade.

I am considering a biesemeyer fence but was curious if what others are using. How difficult was it to mount the new fence? Is the cast iron top difficult to drill?

Thanks Marcus

Reply to
mkellerm

I'd be very interested in hearing these experiences, too. I have a DW746 and am very happy with the fence - as long as it's on the right side of the blade and I don't want to attach a sliding jig to it. I've been thinking of things I might be able to do to "improve" the fence to make it better for sliding jigs, but putting a new fence on might work better...

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

I just purchased the DW746 after about a year of scavanging the net to see if anyone had mounted an after market fence, so I finally took the plunge and figured I'd be the first one to try this, right.

I had owned an entry-level Delta contracter saw that I upgraded with the Incra TS3a fence system. I loved the fence but the saw was under powered and not very accurate in terms of the trunnion system. The fence helped to a point but couldn't fix all the problems.

I just completed mounting the TS3a fence on the DeWalt 746 (having never taken the original fence out of the box) and have to say that I didn't have to drill any holes and I'm in the process of making new router tables for the left and right side tonight. The fence is rock solid, and will work better with the left-tilt blade. I love the Incra products for precision and the DeWalt saw appears to complete the package. Also I run a Forrest WWII and a DW621 as my router of choice.

If you're interested, I can send you photos, dimensions, CAD drawings, etc or put them on a webpage. Email me at: s c h m i t z c h a d @ y a h o o . c o m (must remove spaces)

Reply to
Chad Schmitz

I have owned my DW746 a little over two years, and found the stock fence to be totally adequate to the task, that said, I did replace it with an Incra TSLS this year. This doesn't address the problem of jigs or left side operation, but the precision of the fence is amazing, The Incra does have T-slots on the fence which are very useful for adding jigs and accessories.

Reply to
Tinmender

As far as I know, the Incra fence could be temporarily mounted for left side operation (albeit, the positioner would be facing the back of the saw) or more permanantly mounted, by moving the positioner unit to the left side, remounting the fence interace on the other end of the positioner extrusion and flipping the fence.

Also, I've found jigs to be easier with the Incra extrusion than any T-bar fence system.

What is the intent of mounting a fence on the left side? I've never had the need put the fence on the left side of the blade on either a left or right tilt saw. What are the advantages?

Reply to
Chad Schmitz

replying to Chad Schmitz, Seepince wrote: Makita 2705 10-Inch Contractor Table Saw is the best brand of table saw known to me so far. This is a really top class saw. However for some reason the scale didn't line up. Given that I only read the instructions as a last resort this is probably operator error. Once it is finetuned , it work just like a charm . I use it in my garage for building furnitures .The Fence was a little loose but after i tuned it, it was just fine.Just love it !

Reply to
Seepince

If you are thinking Biesmeyer, you might also take a look at the Shop Fox C lassic that is provided with quite a few of Grizzly table saws. One came o n my Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw about 15 years ago and it is solid as a rock. It is also a Bies look-alike. Our son has a Grizzly cabinet saw with th e aluminum version of the classic and it is a good fence too. I don't know what a Biesmeyer costs these days. The two fences mentioned above run in the $275 to $300 range and extension rails are available.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Oh! The joy of Google groups. You get to reply to decades-old questions and discussions. Do they not show you the date on those entries? Apparently not, since many people do the same as you did.

Reply to
G. Ross

Want to sell your dw746? My 746 was missing the fence.

Reply to
FredS

Sorry, meant to ask about the DW746 Fence not the saw. Is it available for sale since I did not get one when I bought my DW746.

Reply to
FredS