Best Off the Shelf Cabinets?

"W" wrote

Did you see this:

"Produced from currently available sheet goods ? to reduce inventory and waste. Specify your requirements, Melamines, MDF?s, Plywoods, Green cores, etc."

and this:

"Call us today! 970.241.7682"

Max

Reply to
Max

I downloaded their catalog and will investigate further.

I was hoping to buy something pre-assembled and pay something extra for shipping.

That's an odd one. Maybe he's figuring that you'd delay him, delaying getting the CO and delaying him getting his final payment.

The forms for the foundation were put up Tuesday before last, Oct 19 and Friday, Oct 29 the framing was ready for the roof decking. I think I would hold everything up if they waited on me to build my own cabinets. Closing is tentatively set for Dec 21.

Ask him if he'll install the cabinets with the minimum number of screws to 'tack' them in place, and not screw the countertop down. After the CO, pull that stuff and donate it to a local Habitat for Humanity Restore. They'll come and pick it up and you can take the deduction for the full cost of the cabinets (have the contractor give you the invoice).

This home is not a custom home and has to conform to certain standards. Because I am paying for the cabinets I do want to get some use out of them before I replace them one day in the future. I have no problem with removing kitchen cabinets, have done that on several occasions, I believe it would be in my best interest for the cabinets to be installed with the intention of not being replaced. Not sure how granite would be screwed down though. ;~)

Having said that I did talk with a custom builder that gave me an allowance for me to build and install my own cabinets. The allowance was $2200. In my case that was not worth the effort to drop what I am doing and build cabinets to save $2200.

Reply to
Leon

LOL... We talked about pricing and what his costs would be, I think he would be in the hole if he built a house the way he does for the price I am getting.

Reply to
Leon

Merillat has cabinets that have 1/2" baltic birch carcasses, but you have to special order them. Their "off the shelf" are 3/8" termite vomit board or whatever. I'm in the Northeast, so I don't know if they are available where you are. Why doesn't your cabinetmaker want to make your other cabs? I'll make cabs wherever they go... I've made broom cabs fer cryin out loud. I'll make a cab for whatever the client wants. Money talks, BS walks...

RP

Reply to
RP

Shouldn't that have been "any of them" since you were referring to "multiple approaches"?

You've been given a number of approaches and you're not having any of it. Here's the short of it: you want custom, but you want it cheaper and in stock. Yeah, that should be no problem.

Sorry, there is no free lunch today. You'll either have to pony up some more money, do some work yourself, or settle for a stock cabinet that's available in YOUR area. How much do you think it costs to ship an assembled cabinet? That's why I replied the first time with that cabparts.com link. They'll make any damn thing you want, prefinish it, drill holes for hardware, and ship it to you in a flat box for a reasonable cost, and all you have to do is assemble the thing. You'll have exactly nothing to do in the way of layout or measuring.

If you're not up to that, settle, pony up or waste some other peoples' time by calling some cabinet shops and see if they're running the free lunch special.

Josepi

Ohhh?

We call the ends of a cabinet "gables".

.
Reply to
Josepi

GEEEESHHHHH! I was quoted $2100 just for cheap laminate counter tops at Lowes for my kitchen.

The builders have many ways of ripping you off that it's now worth it to custom make anything. This way they don't have to remember anything and build it the way, "they have never seen", anyway.

When you want to get involved with some kitchen installation they will make sure you have to finish the landscaping yourself because it was your sawdust in the kitchen and not their fault...LOL

[...]

I went through three installers (including their best) before the legal BS started for mine. A few more years of legal BS and I may be able to retrim them, for the forth time.

Just remember, if it is home owners helping home owners, run as fast as you can go, in the opposite direction.

Reply to
Josepi

I have no problem with *other" people calling the sides of a cabinet the "gables".

Max

Reply to
Max

I think that was the point. Some want to be anal about everybody in the whole world using their definition...LOL

Max

Reply to
Josepi

I call the *top* the gable (like on a house) to differentiate it from the floor of the cabinet. {:-)

Max (but not in public)

Reply to
Max

Careful the word police will get you, here.

The last one I ran into was the word "Camp". Some neighbours continuously refered to their "camp". After about a year they told us that people 'round here call it a "cottage". APparently in some parts people call a small building in the woods a "camp"

I call the *top* the gable (like on a house) to differentiate it from the floor of the cabinet. {:-)

Max (but not in public)

Reply to
Josepi

My sister (in Michigan) does. She tells me quite often that, "Herb is up at the 'camp'. " LOL

Max

Reply to
Max

Bill was a top poster when he first came.

Pressure from the supertrolls caused him to change his style.

The posting style trolls are so paranoid people will not be like them they spend more time on insulting than trying to decipher the posts. Some use special browsers that attempt to assist them to decipher multiple indented posts and attempt to associate the names with their text using multiple colours and other techniques.

Crazy, huh? Sure is, when email styles and hard copy styles have established formats since the beginning of time.

But the other point is that if a message confronts you that you don't like - for any reason including layout - you also have an option to just ignore it. I do normally bottom post, and the only times I top post are when the newsreader is not helping to arrange quoted text.

Reply to
Josepi