best method to cut 3/4" aluminum tubing?

Not as quick as a hand-held bandsaw, especially when doing four hundred. More accurate, I agree.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Barry ...

That's how I would do it. And the second 400 would come out wrong too.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I see all the posts about putting a metal cutting blade in a miter saw and going to town, and I would indeed do so as well.

Now for my "But," so to speak.

But I've always avoided putting metal cutting blades on my wood working equipment due to worrying about the detrimental effects all those metal filings may have inside the motors and on the bearing surfaces of my equipment not specifically made for metal cutting. And after 400 pieces, there's going to be a lot of metal filings. Go ahead and call me paranoid, but the only wood working tool I've used with a metal blade in it was a cheap circular saw I considered expendable. At the very least, make sure to clean your equipment up after using it to cut metal. Blowing out the equipment and its motor with air is what I'd do, but I'm sure that brings up another debate of if one jams filings further into the machine that way. Perhaps thought given to using a vacuum to suck up filings as they are cut would go a long way toward protecting your wood working equipment.

OR am I just paranoid?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

I got my Delta on sale for $88 and have seen CMT's or GMT's (something like that) for $69.

Reply to
Eugene

Are you willing to pay 25¢ each to have them cut? If so, buy a $99 Ryobi and start cutting.

Whe done, clean it up, put back the oringial blade and sell it on eBay. (Sprinke a little sawdust for good measure) You may get the cost down to 12

1/2¢ each that way.

Even if you are, it doesn't; mean people aren't out to get you. ;)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I bought HF's least expensive metal-cutting (horizontal) bandsaw a year ago because I found myself building more and more metal jigs and fixtures. Since then I've cut a fair amount of aluminum and brass - and the machine (and original blade) are still working like new.

I'd suggest that this is probably the appropriate tool for the job - and can either be sold or kept when your deck rails are done. (I'd be surprised if you didn't keep it.)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Or rent a chop saw for a day. About $30.00.

Reply to
CW

I have the jet version of that saw. the HF, jet and delta versions appear to be identical. it's a great tool, as long as you aren't looking for real accuracy. I'll second that suggestion.

Reply to
bridger