Bentley and woodworking

I get circulars and email advertisements from Bentley, and thought that this was of interest to woodworkers. Some of the stuff they're asking huge dollars for could be knocked out by a good woodworker in a day or less, IMHO.

Nonny

Interesting.

I was just reading an article in the crapper this morning that endeavors to quantify the taste in housing, furniture and fixtures, of those 80 million born between 1980 and 1995, who, by next year (2010), will have more economic clout than any group in history.

Basic premise being understanding the wants/needs of those who grew up being awarded ribbons for last place, and only taking "yes" for an answer, in order to effectively build and market to the selfish little bastards.

The conclusion: Ikea, West Elm, and Design Within Reach.

Either the fumes were getting to me, or that blows my hopeful new business model completely the hell out of the water ... :(

Reply to
Swingman

is why we build this kind of stuff. But now I am thinking that I should have charged more than $800 for the Jewelery box I sold 2 years ago.

Reply to
Leon

Did you have you feet propped up on that new little table? ;~)

BUT there are still those with money that know the difference.

Reply to
Leon

ROTFL! ... you mean those faux granite POS's that Blondie keeps coming up with outta nowhere? Naah ... when engaged in serious business I use only natural materials!

Yabbut ... taste, lad, taste ...

Reply to
Swingman

Spendy stuff, that. £421.28 seems a tad excessive for a match box, tho. After following the links Tom provided Jay else thread to photos of the elevator doors in the Chrysler Building, I went wandering off to look at other art deco stuff.

These aren't wood, but neither are they £421.28 (I just hafta wonder about that 28p - d'ya spose that's their profit margin?)...

Morris Dovey

>>That is why we build this kind of stuff. But now I am thinking that I

Maybe I should just add a 0 to all my prices?

My latest:

'm jealous of the interiors of their boxes though, I need to get better at that. And finishing. Then I'll add the 0 :)

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

name is Bentley, John Bentley. Give me 20 weeks to deliver and I'll figure out how to make it!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

name is Bentley, John Bentley. Give me 20 weeks to deliver and I'll figure out how to make it!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Very nice Kevin! What did you use for the interior?

I ended up using stiff/starched felt and cutting with a quilters rotary cutter. I did this for the drawer bottoms and sides on 2 chests with 13 drawers each. No fun.

Leon

I never thought much about Bentley and woodworking. Does it have a fold down rear seat so you can carry 2 x 4's through the trunk? How about a factory option roof rack for sheets of plywood?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I recently attended the "Texas All British Car Day" in Round Rock TX

and they had a few brand new Bentleys on the premises. One of them was a convertible with the top down, and I was able to inspect the interior up close and personal. Complementing the gorgeous cream colored leather was some of the most beautiful Bird's Eye Maple woodwork that you could imagine, on the dash, and all around the perimeter of the interior. My initial thought was how great it would be to have the woodworking gig in the Bentley factory, but then it occurred to me it was probably done not by hand, but more likely with the finest CNC machinery available. Regardless, it was some very impressive work.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I prefer the factory installed trailer hitch, using a home built trailer to haul things home. What kind of person would put lumber in their Arnage?

Reply to
Nonny

Pictures posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Reply to
Steve Turner

Thanks!

bottoms, and I wrap the fabric around a piece of 1/8" acid free foamboard cut a little smaller than the drawer. It's easier to cut the foamboard to fit than the fabric, and then you just press it in and get nice crisp edges. I've started making ring bars too now and that is a royal pain.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Very interesting design.

Don't know about adding a zero, but certainly that's definitely worth way more than $50.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Thanks!

I think you were looking at the shipping :)

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

DOH!

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

What sort of cheap bastard are you that you're not willing to pop for $1000 for a wood ashtray?! There's a recovery going on and you have to do YOUR part to aid in stimulating the economy. So blow the dust out of the wallet, cough up some dough and buy one of each item on that page. Bank of America will thank you.

RicodJour

You're not competing with IKEA. IKEA is creating your customers for you. When the IKEA kidlets grow up they'll leave IKEA behind and go searching for better quality. Quality never goes out of style...only thing, sometimes it takes longer than the creator's (small C) lifetime for the quality to be recognized. Hope you're not in a rush! ;)

RicodJour