Bending wood with sake

Has anyone here tried applying JVC's breakthrough in making wood-cone speakers to other wood work? You soak the wood in sake to make it flexible. Apparently it's not just the alcohol but something else in sake. A little bit of information on this is at

hardly a set of instructions for how to do it yourself. Depending on the size of the piece it might be much more expensive than steam, but it sounds like it must work better.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Sullivan

Fukui-san. Go ahead, Ota. The Iron Chef has added some cocobolo to his sake. Cocoa powder? No, cocobolo. Hattori, are those bonito shavings he's putting in now? Actually, I believe those are African mahogany chips from the Iron Chef's planer.

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Heh - that's pretty good. I just love the voice-overs they do for those guys and gals.

Do you suppose you can drink the saki when you're done?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Never heard of it, I use Downy water softner in very hot water. Depending on the species and thickness of wood it may take as little as ten minutes to make the wood pliable. This is an alternative to steam bending in some cases.

mike

Reply to
mike

Does the Downey make much of a difference or is it for a spring time fresh scent in your shop? How much Downey to how much water?

Reply to
Jack Casuso

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:03:35 -0400, Charlie Sullivan vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I looked at a 12" piece of 4X2 jarrah for an afternoon and drank several (hah!) glasses of sake. This is the lrearl seclret.

Incidentalrry, I had soaked a squid in the sake for quite a while.

I am allergicogenic to squid.

The squid was incoherent, I am afraid, apparently being allergicogenic to sakesoaking.

The jarrah TOOK ANY FORM I LIKED..........and could stay there for several seconds or an eternity!

I ACTUALLY MADE IT SOUND QUITE GOOD AS WELL!

Bloody rotten rice!

***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
Reply to
Old Nick

ROFLMAO!!!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:41:46 -0500, Morris Dovey vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Glad I could ligten up a couple of minutes!

***************************************************** I have decided that I should not be offended by anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's good, anyway.
Reply to
Old Nick

Reply to