Bendable plywood

I'm making a base for a coffee table and my design thoughts are aiming at a n S-shaped form. The form would be about an 8-inch sandwich The top is a la rge filch of white oak. Has anyone any experience with bendable plywood? I've found these folks online:

and there is a dist ributor close enough to warrant a visit.

I suppose I could kerf-cut my own, but ...

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

I'm making a base for a coffee table and my design thoughts are aiming at an S-shaped form. The form would be about an 8-inch sandwich The top is a large filch of white oak. Has anyone any experience with bendable plywood? I've found these folks online:

and there is a distributor close enough to warrant a visit.

------------------------------------------------ Here in SoCal, you can get "Bending Ply" at most any of the real lumber yards,

Typically 1/4" with all the grains oriented in the same direction so it can be bent.

The stuff I saw used was Poplar but assume other veneers are available.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Like Lew said, "bendable plywood" is available at most suppliers around here, although it's not very pretty for a finished product unless you're painting.

You must also use some type of method/structure to "set" the shape, otherwise the flexibility remains in the end product.

Why not? You have a table saw, it is very easy to do, albeit a bit time consuming in its repetitive nature.

Besides, "kerfing" it yourself is the only way I know to be able to use the exact plywood desired for the project.

Quite a bit of "kerfing for shape" in 3/4" plywood was done on this project a couple of years back:

Swingman

an S-shaped form. The form would be about an 8-inch sandwich The top is a large filch of white oak. Has anyone any experience with bendable plywood? I've found these folks online:

and there is a di stributor close enough to warrant a visit.

Kerfing sucks. Bendable ply is used all the time in cabinet shops. You need to build a frame for it to sit on because it is like a wet noodle. You can get ply that bends in the 4' direction or the 8' direction. I prefer the 8 ' direction because it is fun seeing guys try to carry it.

SonomaProducts.com