Bench Chisels Advice

I'd like to kick it up a notch and get some better bench chisels to be used mostly for hinge mortises and hand-cut dovetails. Currently using Craftsman and some no-name chisels. What is a "good" brand name for bench chisels?? TIA

Woodpecker

Reply to
Woodpecker

Well its a matter of how much you want to kick it up.

Blue handle Marples are always a good choice. Two Cherries got a good write up in Fine Woodworking a couple of years ago. They have harder steel than the Marples, which means more time between sharpening. If money is not object, Lie Nielson is coming out with a line of chisels. I got to play with one a while back and they are real sweet!

I think the most important thing you should consider is how they feel in your hand.

Oh, also add Ashley Isles to your consideration. I have some of their carving gouges and I like them very much.

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Bernie offered some good choices but before you give those Craftsman chisel the old heave-ho, they just may be better than you realize if they're of the right vintage. I have a set that is at least 20 years old along with a set of the Marples which I like. The Craftsman chisels are a bit more stout, shorter and heavier duty and they hold an edge better than the Marples.

It may be that you just need to flatten the backs get a good bevel (25-35 deg) on them using Scary Sharp (fine grits of sandpaper) honing. The older chisels used some good steel.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I bought a set of Narex chisels from highland, they're pretty nice for as inexpensive as they are. They come in metric sizes, which is a bit annoying, but it's a set of 6 (6,10,12,16,20, and 25mm), and comes in a nice wooden case, for $30. Can't beat that with a stick. I guess they're not as nice as the chisels that cost $30 apiece, but then again, in my humble opinion, 6 good quality chisels are better than 1 REALLY good chisel, and I certainly can't afford $150 for chisels these days

Reply to
tmbg

Although some get better reviews my Marples chisels have performed well for me for years. I'd try Two Cherries the next time but if you want to save a few bucks, I hear the Hirsh chisels that Lee Valley sell are made in the same place and they tested as well if not better than the Two Cherries in a recent FWW article IIRC. There are always the Japanese Oire Nomi (or however the heck you spell it) but I always preferred the regular style myself.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

Berg, Mathieson,Robt Sorby, Spear and Jackson, Wm Kent, A Fowler, E Broad, Greenlee... Keep an eye out at garage sales, auctions, flea markets, etc. I find smaller sizes the harder to find - under 1/2", but not impossible. There are plenty of good old chisels out there, often much better than new ones at a much better price. They are usually quick to clean up, might need a new handle, and a joy to use when done.

HTH, Jeffo

Reply to
Jeffo

For new chisels: Two Cherries or Ashely Iles are far and away the best. If you are interested in Japanese chisels, be careful, as the quality varies there as well.

I liked the Two Cherries more because of the feel of the handle--the Iles were to fat, although I understand they are now smaller.

Far better than the other brands out there.

Reply to
DarylRos

Didn't that same article rate Craftsman higher than Marples?

Mind you, I'd expect more variation over the years from Craftsman since they could change manufactureres any number of times.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt