Bench chisels

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -- Walter E. Williams

I've got one of those round wooden mallets that sculptors use. Works great with chisels.

Reply to
Marty

Interesting thing about the Narex mortise chisels. I just checked them again and that exact advertised width (actually the 3/8" chisel is a tad *over*, by about 1/64") only lasts for about a 3/4" to 1" length near the cutting edge. Beyond that it narrows in width towards the handle by about 1/64" (up to 1/32" on the 1/2" chisel), presumably to alleviate binding in the mortise opening. I know some people get ridiculously aggressive when resharpening their tools, so conceivably you could burn through that 3/4" and find yourself with a chisel that's too narrow, but I can't imagine myself ever taking off more than an 1/8" in my entire lifetime, and probably not even close to that.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I think chisles only have a short section near the tip hardened. So the 3/4" length that is the official width, is the only part of the steel that is hardened and will hold an edge. Once you grind that part away, the chisel is gone. It will no longer hold an edge. You would be sharpening soft steel then. The upper part of the chisel is soft and springy so you can pry on it and not snap it. If all the steel in the chisel was hardened, it would be dangerous to use.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Here ya go...

**************************Buy the best, and only cry once.

Reply to
Jay Pique

I've tried the rectangular and round wooden mallets and they both pale in comparison to the urethane. The rubber makes less noise and is much easier on the wrists of both hands. Try one at a store and see, Marty. It's the Festool of mallets, without the hefty price! You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, you're mostly likely right about that. My curiosity about whether the narrowing of the shank was a common feature of all mortise chisels (this is the only set I've ever owned) caused me to forget about the fact the only the tips are likely to be hardened. I'm getting to the age where I can only keep so many things in my brain at one time. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

ane Allen- Hide quoted text -

Delayed response, but I just saw this - and I totally agree. I bought a Wood Is Good mallet a while back, and it is, indeed, the Festool of mallets. Something about the give and rebound of the urethane seems let you use less force for the same cut. Great tool. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique