Bench Belt Sander?

I'm wanting to buy a good 12" disk bench sander, but I keep seeing the combination disk / belt sanders. I can't figure out why a bench belt sander would be of any use, unless I have a specific need to send wood across my shop at very high velocity. I've already got several tools I use for that purpose. Before I drop some dough on JUST a disk sander, can anyone convince me that I need to have a bench belt sander as well? Thanks. O.

Reply to
Oregon

I use a stationary belt sander constantly and rarely ever use qa disc sander. The belt is MUCH better for maintaining a straight edge, is good for quick rounding of corners on pieces and is just much more useful to me for what I do. Why do you "need" a disc sander so often???

] >I'm wanting to buy a good 12" disk bench sander, but I keep seeing the

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I purshased a Delta 6" combination belt/disc sander at a garage sale. To be honest with you I use the disc more than the belt. I use the disc to square up and shorten the ends of miter cut pieces of wood. I have only used the belt with very course grit paper as a "slicker" to shorten screws, etc. The sander is almost permantly mounted for use with the disc.

Reply to
Brian Turner

You will do this less as your skill level increases. What scares most humans about belted sanders is the belt wants to drag the leading edge down and take off more material. Once you've mastered the technique you won't look back.

Yahbut they aren't as fast at removing stock. It's like comparing a hand held circular saw to a table saw, any table saw.

I personally think the belt/disk machines are a compromise. Look at the disk speed of a stand alone and the fpm of a stand alone belt sander and compare that to the combination machines. The two were never meant to be glommed together.

So I guess I'm advising you to not buy the combo. Now, a stand alone belt machine, that's a whole nuther kettle of fish.

Not a prob.

Unisaw A100