beginners question

What would be the ideal / maximum screw size / # for screwing into the edge of 1/2" plywood?

Direction would be appreciated!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Mitchell

Probably #6 for 1/2, I use #8 for 3/4in plywood

John

Reply to
John Crea

Depends on the type of plywood, and what kind of weight you plan to hold... and if you drill a pilot hole as well...

If I was just going to grab a screw and drive it in just like that, I wouldn't go over number 6.... and no longer then 1 inch or so... If you drill a hole you could go to #8...

What an open ended question!

Reply to
Bob Flint

Screw in for why?

I was going to say a max or a #8 then I got to thinking about it and can't remember ever encountering the situation and if I had it would be something I would find away around. Of course that doesn't mean you haven't found a legitimate reason to do so, only that I can't think of one.

Right wrong or indifferent, so I am not going to debate it, my take is that putting screws or, for that matter nails, in the edge of plywood and expecting it to be of any use and not, either push apart the ply's till they slipped out, tear through the ply's under load, or just plain pull out, is wishing on a star.

Plywood may be sturdy and stable but the edges, as anyone who has ever dropped a piece on edge can tell you, are it's Achilles heel. It just isn't something they make plywood to do.

Reply to
Mike G