battery power table saw

not satisfied with his explanation for that folder over fence addition is he correct or is there some other reason for that

never have liked gimmicks and maybe it is useful but i cannot see it especially on time tested setups like a table saw rip fence

the on off switch problem is somewhat ridiculous

that problem was never encountered in testing or it is a feature seems hard to believe they missed that problem

or is the videographer using it wrong

Reply to
Electric Comet

Personally, I think a battery powered stationary TS is rather lame. If I want to use a ts, and be bothered carrying around a large tool like that, I might as well plug it in. Otherwise, circular saws with tails are good for outside, and a circular saw with battery is great for a couple of cuts in the shop that don't work well on a normal TS, like cutting 2" off the ends of a 16 foot 2x, or breaking down a full sheet of plywood to fit better on a "real" TS.

Moreover, about my only concern with that piece is how long the battery would last. He went over everything but that? Dumb on all counts.

Could there be a reason to own one of these, I think possibly a craft lady/man/whatever might use one for something, but probably not a wood worker with regular tools. My guess is even the craft lady/man/whatever would be concerned about battery life more than anything else.

Reply to
Jack

I think this saw is aimed at the trades/new build site that has no electricity set up yet. Not uncommon at all.

Reply to
Leon

If the battery lasts or you have multiples or a way to charge them (lots of if's) then I can see a use in remote sites such as a cabin build or a dock by a pond. Yes, a generator could be hauled in, but that requires cords and gas and certainly more weight.

I've been on a build where we brought supplies and tools in with 4 wheelers and small trailers via rough trails. I remember my buddy telling me that getting the generator there was a real pain. He left it at the cabin for occasional use, but it sure disturbs the peace and quiet. A wood stove and lanterns were the norm.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

it really is in the sense that use cases are so limited

not a great review and he blabbed on about stuff that he thought viewers cared about

one use case is when doing work when the house is changing tenancy and the power is not on yet

Reply to
Electric Comet

I can see the use down at the lake house where you are fixing up stuff. Can't haul a full one down there. It is take, use, bring back. Thieves.

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Or during construction--if all your tools are cordless you don't need a generator or temporary power drop.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Right, better to bring a pickup truck full of batteries than a generator or a temporary hookup that can run all your tools, not just a toy saw. I don't think it'll be common to see this thing on many building sites, but that's just my opinion. Obviously some marketing person thinks I'm wrong. I wish them luck.

Reply to
Jack

Except to charge your batteries. :-) Seriously, if I went that route, I'd make darn sure I had a LOT of batteries.

Funny, I just had this discussion last week with a guy with whom I partnered on a deck repair job. On the 1st day on the job we brought up the subject of DeWalt's battery CMS and we were both like, "Why on earth would you ever need something like that."

The next day, we popped a breaker using a portable tablesaw and a way-too-long and thin extension cord. We spent 30 minutes trying to find the breaker or GFI receptacle that had popped and couldn't find it. We both looked at each other and said, at the same time, "I guess now we know why you'd want a battery powered CMS," and had a good laugh.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My main concern would be battery life, which he ignored. TS's use a good bit of juice compared to a little drill. Battery powered circular saws of which I have one, are nice for a couple of cuts when you don't feel like digging out and hooking up a regular saw, but not for general use where *I* think they would go through batteries like a hot knife through butter. Mine does, I know that. He made exactly one cut through one piece of wood. Note that on about every single drill review they drill a billion holes in wood to see how long the battery holds up. Here, where a normal person should really question battery life on one of these, he completely ignores it. This tells me that battery life sucks.

Yeah, emergency TS use. Limited/no demand for that at best.

Reply to
Jack

Battery charge life should not be an issue for the trimmer.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, I had a little Makita 3-3/8" 9.6V circular saw. It was great for cedar siding (what I bought it for) but wasn't worth a damn on

3/4" ply. It did it's job and was small enough to use when working on a ladder. I no longer have the house so there isn't much use for the saw, either.

I now have a Dewalt ~6" cordless saw. It's OK for plywood but not much. The same motor, mounted in a table, would probably work quite well for trim. Decent Li-Ion batteries, rather than the wimpy NiCds would do wonders, too.

Reply to
krw

the batteries are considered consumables so they want you to buy lots of them

and if you buy all dewalt you will have spares for other tools

also in some places power is not on twenty four seven so they would charge during the day and use after sundown

no question that ts has limited use cases

Reply to
Electric Comet

If you spend a lot of money for the tools with batteries and chargers, sure. It's a lot cheaper to buy tools without these, however. One only needs so many batteries.

Reply to
krw