Bar top finish product

Has anyone used this product? If so, what say ye?

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

I have not used that product personally, but watched someone with no experi ence apply it. I was refinishing and hanging doors at a country club while they were renovating, and one of the hands on managers gave that stuff a w hirl on a small side bar inside the lounge. It worked perfectly, and even got to the mirror shine by itself.

He used a small plastic spatula to move the material around and instead of using some kind of torch (too hot, open flame) or a hair dryer (not enough heat) he used an $8 heat gun from HF and it worked fine. The end results m ade the bar top look like a bar top; wood with a thick, heavy plastic coati ng on it. It dried HARD, and was in use in about 48 hours after application .

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

------------------------------------------------------------------ Haven't used this specific product but have used in excess of 10,000 pounds of System Three laminating epoxy with no problems.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I used a product like that or that product, don't remember the brand, about 30 years ago. Worked easily and well. Did a bar and it was easy and offers good durability.

Just to test it b4 the bar, put a picture on a slab of wood and covered it with a cup full of mixture... I was impressed with it.

Reply to
woodchucker

I would have figured you would have used west systems Lew for the sailboat.

Reply to
woodchucker

---------------------------- It's competitive business.

West was no where close, they are mostly in the retail world.

What a lot of people don't realize is that there are only 3-4 part "A" suppliers.

Shell and Dow in the US, forgot who is in Europe.

The action is with the formulators of the part "B" (Hardeners) of which West and S-3 are players.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I knew about Shell they have some pretty sophisticated Epoxies. I did not know that West was more retail, I thought S3 was the newer comer... but I'll admit I don't know that much, other than using West mostly for building composite planes. I know about shell from a friend who fabricates for high end motorcycles... he does exhausts and other parts from carbon fiber, so he buys the shell epoxies that are ok for high temp ...

Reply to
woodchucker

Forgot to mention, the product was so good on the bar, I also used it on a darkroom table, found the finish to be chemical resistant.. Not stain resistant, but it didn't hurt the finish..

Acetic acids, developers.. etc. on a pressboard tabletop.. coated both sides and got the protection I was looking for. no puff up of the pressboard, so it kept the underlying pressboard dry.

Reply to
woodchucker

--------------------------------------------------- It's the formulators that develop the finished resin systems by developing the hardeners.

---------------------------------------------- West was first into the market followed by several others in a hurry.

Is carbon fiber still on allocation?

Golf clubs, hockey sticks and sail boat masts are just a few uses these days for carbon.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------------------------------------ What I forgot to mention that at one time I was buying resin (Part A) in 500 lb (55 Gal) drums from a guy who was buying from Shell in railroad tank cars.

He was supplying a wind turbine blade manufacturer.

There are all kind of "deals" if you shop around for them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not sure I understand what you mean. If it means limited allocation , yes it is very hard to get and very expensive. The aerospace industry and so many others have pretty much got dibs, anyone else is scratching for it, scraps... It used to be so available with aluminum aircraft. Carbon fiber takes a long while to make compared to aluminum.

Reply to
woodchucker

Thanks for input! I'm now re-thinking the whole bar top idea. I made a cof fee table out of knotty pine (very soft wood but matches the decor of the r oom). It gets heavy use and needs a re-finish, but now I'm debating whether I want that heavy plastic look on top. I'm thinking not.

Reply to
Michael

Just curious, when you use this product, do you have to put a "fence" around the edges to keep it from running or is it this enough to stay put?

Bill L.

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

yes, it will drip off the edge if it's too close to it.

Reply to
chaniarts

That depends. It will run off the edge, but not like water.

Reply to
woodchucker