bang when Jet contractor saw turns on

Is there a way to reduce the turn-on bang when it starts? It seems like sometimes when it starts there is no bang, and other times its quite startling. I cant figure out why. I'm running it 240V. It seems like a lot of the action may be originating from the belt guard. Anyone find a way to dampen this "problem"?

Reply to
Subw00er

It's normal and its due to the new belts as per Jet tech support. You could replace them with link belts if you want the expensive option or just wait until the belts equalize. Took mine about 6 months (intermittent use) and now it's fine.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Oddly many cabinet saws have this happen also. I think it starts with the

220-240 volt setup. Usually with this voltage and the absence of voltage drop at start up these motors tend to start up "instantly". Basically there is no measurable time spent coming up to speed. Correct? The belts don't handle this well with out the bang you hear. From what I have read, link belts calm this problem on cabinet saws. As a side note with another similar situation, mid 80's GM cars with diesel engines that used serpentine belts had the same problem. The engines fired up so quickly and with so much torque the belt would go "bang" also.

Reply to
Leon

My JET CS didn't do this at all when I ran it on 220VAC...same start as when it was on 110.

Hope you figure it out.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

I took the belt guard off the Jet CS I used to have, as it rubbed on link belts.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Nor does my cabinet saw do it all the time either. Seems to have a lot to do with line voltage in general according to Jet. When I first witnessed this 3 years ago Jet indicated that it was belt slap due to the quick starting of the motor. The first step was to insure that all 3 belts were properly tensioned followed by a different start capacitor provided by Jet to slow the start up. Ultimately Jet replaced the motor all together and this helped greatly although depending on the time of day and temperature the bang at start up does show up now and then. Jet indicated that the motor starts up quickly on 220 volt compared to 110 volt if the line voltage is optimum.

Reply to
Leon