bandsaw won't cut straight

I just got an 20-year old Craftsman bandsaw. It's in perfect mechanical condition except for the fact that when ever I cut something it cuts of to the left. I've tried to adjust what's adjustable, but nothing helps.

I'm new to bandsaws so I don't know what the reason for this is. Do I just need to get a new blade?

Reply to
vidar

That will help.

Reply to
Joe_Stein (formerly KB8QLR)

Do a search on this site for the word "lead" as in blind leading the, and you'll get the idea that almost all blades lead. If it cuts fine, compensate.

Library a good place to pick up information on the peculiarities and safety considerations for your new saw.

Reply to
George

It's also known as drift.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

Almost all bandsaw BLADES do this some degree. It is more a property of the blade than the bandsaw itself. It's also called "drift" and you generally adjust the fence to compensate for it. The following will help:

Swingman

If the blade is old, then it's probably wise to replace it, since you don't know what kind of condition it's in. Bandsaw blades are relatively cheap so it's not a big investment.

As others have pointed out, you need to adjust for drift or lead, and the AWW page explains it pretty well. But if you're new to bandsawing, I recommend you pick up a copy of Mark Duginske's Bandsaw Handbook. It will explain about the lead corrections and a whole lot more that's really good to know.

John Carlson

David J. Marks tuned a bandsaw on the DIYNetwork show "WOOD WORKS" one episode.

The link to the episode is:

it's not slated to be shown again at the moment, but it should appear on the schedule again sometime. This might have also been the episode where he blanced a nickel on his jointer...Hee Hee Unfortunately, foor those of you who do not have satellite, DIY may not be available on your cable system.

Reply to
L Anthony Johnson

Reply to
nospambob

A Timberwolf blade will cut straight but most blades drift so you will have to compensate in those cases. Personally I prefer to go with the Timberwolf blades even though they break easily.

Ken Muldrew

Anyone tried playing with the tracking, like making the blade ride a bit higher on the tire?

Reply to
Jimlemon

Reply to
Gerry