Banchard Grinding

Anybody know the current rate for Blanchard Grinding a table saw top?

Thanks, jbaiardo

Reply to
jbaiardo

Yes, the machine shop.

Instead of asking here,, call a sop that does it. Sometime they will cut you a break as a consumer compared to what they are billing a commercial customer. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I will call a machine shop, but its nice to have some idea of what to expect.

Thanks, jbaiardo

Reply to
jbaiardo

Depending on the tolerance (flatness you want) A table top with machined bosses on the bottom will run from $35 to $60.00 depending on the labor rate and how bad the surface is right now. Typically a table saw can be blanchard ground to be flat and parallel within .002 for the above prices. I run the business end of a small tool and die company. Part of my job is estimating from blue prints. We don't blanchard grind in house but I have some very good sources. You have to figure in shipping, so I would find local source. HTH, Ken

Reply to
Ken Lamb

Didn't know general machine shops still offered Blanchard grinding.

My guess is that if you have a common saw, you can probably buy a used complete unit, cannibalize it for parts for less than a grind job.

As an example, my landlord picked up an old Craftsman table saw less motor for $15.

Guy was going to give it away for nothing, but finally took the $15.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If there are machined bosses on the underside of the table that are not smacked to hell and gone, it's going to take about an hour...actually, likely less, but many small shops will have an unofficial one hour minimum charge.

Where are you? I have access to a 36" Blanchard and could do it for you for a case of beer.

Oh, I don't drink bud, either...I'm easy, but I ain't cheap.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

Thanks Ken,

I didn't realize it was that cheap.

Reply to
jbaiardo

WHAT ! !

You don't drink the by product of a discontented horse?

That makes two (2) of us.

BTW, I also include Millers and Coors in that same list.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

At the risk of being considered an idiot [a conatation my wife sometimes uses ] what exactly is "blanchard " grinding .as opposed to general surface grinding ....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

With all the awesome micro and midi-brew out there, WHY drink the big (3)?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

There is no beer but porter, and stout is its prophet.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Reply to
klaatu

Time to drag this story out again... I had a science teacher in high school who had had a bit of Latin and a bit of French, and he found himself stationed in Mexico during his service in whatever branch of the military. He didn't speak a lick of Spanish. While at a bar, he was served a bottle of Dos Equis.

"Hmmmm... 'dos' looks like 'des' so it must mean 'from the.' 'Equis' looks a lot like 'equus' so it must mean 'horse.' I don't think I want to drink this beer!"

(dos equis is Spanish for "two Xes" (XX))

That guy was a trip. He was about to quit teaching and go sell life insurance or something, and he didn't give a rat's ass about anything. "Didn't do your project? That's OK, you get an A anyway. If you had done it, it would have been good."

(Wow that was a long time ago... The '80s seem so far away.)

Reply to
Silvan