Backyard Decked, Platform

Got the 4x4's screwed together. I used the long strong hex head screws that are used to tie log homes together. 6 used per square - due to the crossbar that supports the top (tread boards).

Using what I have, it took 3 12' 4x4's to make 4 sides. Lots of fire wood. Should have been 2. Yield...

The log screws drove easily through the oak and held tightly. (good feeling) I bought them at Home Depot in the deck screw section. I'll put those in the pictures as well.

Pending rain, the work might stop for a while.

I build it on the veranda of the addition. Drip rain and sun doesn't gets there. And electric power is plenty. My shop isn't set up for this size of wood. I wonder if I am!

Cut a 2x6 which is non-standard sizing due to the on-site cut. Was cut and deck screws refused to drive through and into the 4x4 under them. Drill holes had to be used, as well as the 4" deck screws were re-boxed and 3" were the winner. As it turns out, 3" was the size I was to use. That is why I had a large box of them. Even still, drilling holes just adds to the job. I have to get another drill for the drilling. My 3/8 HP hammer drill is driving screws.

The square (first one) is heavy. I'll use the tractor with forks and hope I can stabilize it on.

I'm glad my cutoff saw, not a slider, cuts the 2/6 and 4x4's thus far. Since the 12' 4x4 are over my strength (at this time) I'm using my chainsaw to cut off sections that I trim down both ends... Half length are easy enough to tote. The 12' 2x6 is easy enough to tote.

As I work down the stack of lumber - I hope the size stays close enough. Three 4x4x12' will be wood turning or firewood. Wood decay has taken a corner off all of them. Lost a lot of wood to that.

Pictures start taking tomorrow. I'll have to determine what site to post them on. And how many.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Looking better and better. I am just about to remove some of my LV lights. They love to catch the water hose and my two left feet blunder into them.

Reply to
G. Ross

I did an arched bridge, and tori several years ago. They are still holding up well. Will put pictures on ABPW.

Reply to
G. Ross