Are there any 6" stationary belt sanders that don't bog down...

like my Delta 4" belt/6" disc sander? (Model 31-460). Anyone here have that one and know what I mean? What 6x48 unit has plenty of power? I don't need the disc part, but I guess most come with a disc.

I looked at the Grizzly and from what I can see dust collection would be impossible when the belt is horizontal.

Is the Delta 31-695 a lot stronger than the one I have? What brand do you like? I don't want an 80"; just a 48"

Dave

Reply to
David

They all bog down if you press to hard or give them too much surface. Determine which is the case and try to resolve it that way before you Tim Taylor it.

If you're looking for another, get bearings on the idler versus bushings, and a good graphite platen to reduce the obligatory load.

Reply to
George

I cleaned off the platen last night and applied a dry lubricant spray. That helped quite a bit but I'd still like a wider belt.

Dave

Reply to
David

I've had the (gasp) Harbor fright 6x48 with 9" disk for a long time.. just keeps on chugging..

If it bogs down, it's MY fault for pressing on it... sanding is supposed to be light pressure.. IMO, it's like having the belt on a lathe slightly loose so if you screw up, the lathe stops... same with the bandsaw... if I drag the speed down, I know that I'm forcing the cut.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I just ordered the Delta 6x48 w/ disc. all the others cost too much for me. None of the local dealers would touch Amazon's price, so guess where I ordered it from? :)

Dave

Reply to
David

If it's like the riser Grizzly riser block that i bought from Amazon, it will be shipped by Delta...

Amazon's price was lower than griz, but it was shipped directly from Griz..lol