AOL admin address

I think things are going to very soon dribble to a stop with me and AOL. Checked a bank statement today, and no matter how I work it, AOL has managed to overcharge me by $34.20. Trying to get a sensible answer out of the "help" person on line "Chat for Free" is about as useful as teats on a broom handle, with him telling me what my monthly charges are, what my monthly use is, the reason they charged for two months in one month, and on. He could, he said, find no payment for $120.90, implying, I guess, it was my fault. Or I inferred that. Direct withdrawal from my bank, though, shows the payment, which has to be initiated by AOL.

He can give an explanation for the rest, and did so in as obtuse a manner as possible, while still insulting my intelligence.

So I gave up, told him thanks for not much, and tried the phone number. I honestly believe that's an endless loop, as the same message was repeated and repeated and repeated ad infinitum over a 35 minute period while some nasal female who can't carry a tune blasted my eardrums in the interims. At the 35 minute mark, I hung up because there had been no sign of life, intelligent or otherwise, in that time.

So, it is time to write directly to AOL. Thing is, finding their office address is not exactly simple. I just wondered if anyone on the rec has some guidance there. Google gives so many hits I could be 3 days sorting them out.

I need to find a saner reference source and just retain AOL at minimum cost for the year or so it will take to clear everything off. But that has to wait until I get moved. I want a local place, if possible. Somewhere I can go scream in the proprieter's face when he/she screws things up, as he/she will, as that's a given when working on anything with computers.

Charlie Self

I used AOL for several years and feel that it had become the "MCI" of internet providers.

Reply to
Leon

To find the business address for a company that is listed on a US stock exchange go to and plug the name into EDGAR. You'll get a list of possible hits, pick the one you want, and the business and mailing addresses will be at the top of the page. Those filings are required by Federal law and they're required to be amended when they change.

If you need the names of the officers then look for the "10-K" and "10-K/A" which would contain amendments including new officers.

Reply to
J. Clarke

very very simple to get ahold of them. Stop payment on it. next time they try to take it out, they will be blocked, and THEY will call YOU. then you keep them on hold for 35 minutes, then let em have it with both barrels.

Works great for the cable company.

Reply to
js

Charlie,

AOL has been raked over the coals several times about not being able to discontinue service properly and for their financial and billing practices. Contact your local Attorney Generals office, Consumer Affairs division and file a complaint. In NY, you can do it over the phone and on the internet. Both times that I had to resort to that action, I got quick, satisfactory results (amazingly enough...). The companies called me to correct the problems after being contacted by Consumer Affairs.

When dealing with AOL (Time Warner) you need a big gun to get their attention. Use the one you've been paying for in your state taxes... it even works sometimes.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

J. Clarke responds:

Just what I need, I think.

Thanks,

Charlie Self

js responds:

Not going to work. I need the address book, bookmarks, etc. for my work. I also use the email bit to ship articles and photos to editors. I stop payment, they stop access. I'm still the one in the barrel.

That's why there's a change a-coming.

Charlie Self

Bob responds:

Yeah, well...I'm in WV, not even sure there's an attorney general here (there is, but...). And I'm moving in just over 2 weeks.

Charlie Self

I've been in this fix before with other companies that provide "service." I find that buying some stock in the company and then contacting the Corporation's Secretary or General Counsel and asking to speak at the next annual meeting works wonders. They really don't like to have dirty laundry aired in front of analysts. Particularly since you are probably not an isolated case.

I've only had to actually show up and speak at one annual meeting to get a problem resolved. As it turned out several of the analysts there were folks I knew from my VC days and that wasn't lost on the corporation's management either. Problem was fixed immediately.

RB

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
RB

start backing everything up, then do it. they arent the only email provider in the world. I am sure you have another ISP choice in your area.

I dont imagine they would just stop service if you blocked the payment, i would certainly think they would call to see what the problem is. If not, you'll have everything backed up, and can go with a different provider with better customer service.

Reply to
js

I use SaveMyFavorites and AddressMagic in order to collect the appropriate information from AOL. I've converted a number of people with them. You merely have to log into AOL and leave their interface up before running the programs. Both programs will export the contents so you can import it into another program. You can find both programs at:

've registered them so if you need help, let me know. Mark

Reply to
Werlax

Ah a memory. AOL billed me twice in one month in the same day. Bank statement made it look very obvious. On phone they guaranteed me that their system couldnt do that...that it had to be a bank error. I suggested to them that the invoice numbers were different and a few minutes apart. They once again said it wasnt possible. I went to bank to see if a real person could make sense of it. The very nice lady used the 800 number that was listed on the charge and got thru fast and they apologized and reversed the charge. That was fine until AOL reversed the charge a 2nd time several days later. I caught it but said to myself "their problem, not mine." Wrong. They stopped my service for payment overdue and I had to start the whole thing over again. Unfortuniately, I used AOL fopr everything and too many people have it in their address books...and of course AOL cannot fwd any emails. So I remain a "happy" AOL customer of 15 years. I am just waiting for AOL to reinstitute pay by the minute and not tell anyone...but just withdraw the charge from out bank automatically. Do NOT put it past them.

Reply to
JLucas ILS

jlucasils:

Yeah. Similar. My normal billing date is the 20th of the month. This was billed on the 4th. They have no record of such a billing or payment, yet my bank has a record of the payment to them, which cannot be released without them billing.

I have been with them pretty close to 15 years. I'll changing to something else once I get back to Virginia and have time to check availability. Probably take me 2-3 months to get that running right, and to move stuff from AOL, which I will then keep on minimum pay for about a year to make sure all that is coming in gets to me.

Charlie Self

Werlax responds:

well solve my problem.

Thanks,

Charlie Self

Damn, Charlie - if'n you got out of AOL and WV in the same month - that would be some damned fine month!

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

On 27 May 2004 15:32:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Googled:

Hotline: 1-800-368-8808 Give Darrell a call, an email, or a letter. Be sure to forward your new address for followups, etc.

'Tis a piece o' cake, Charlie.

LJ, who knows how NUTS it is just before a move...

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The sad thing is, once you disconnect from them, you'll hear from them about 8 times a month for the next year! They called me constantly to reconsider my dropping them. Offered all sorts of free hours and such.

Reply to
James Cubby Culbertson

Tom Watson responds:

Been looking over Verizon for my new phone number down in Bedford. We'll already have their extended calling plan, as we do here. Seems useful, then switch to DSL when that becomes available (there are some things that are not so good in the boonies...DSL and cable are hard to come by, though I could do Dish, for only about $100 a month [as JOAT would say, LMAO]).

It'll take a little more time to clear everything off AOL, but at the moment, it looks like I'm back in VA about 6/15 or so, and out of full-time AOL a couple days later. Figure 30-45 days to finish the job.

Damned fine 2 months, shall we say.

Charlie Self

Larry Jaques responds:

Yes. We drove a cargo van load of stuff to VA yesterday, round trip in one day, about 625 miles. I was going to reload and go on back, but my wife tlaked me out of it, for which I was very grateful a couple hours ago. I'd have been halfway back and hunting a motel.

Charlie Self

Yup. I made the mistake of using them for exactly long enough to download a real web browser once, on the theory that I'd cancel and they'd go away. Their installer put all sorts of very stubborn hooks into my windows98 box (ok, it was a while ago, before I abandoned the windows world for Mac and Linix/Unix), and they, as you say, kept calling.

Worse, they kept billing. "I do not want your service. I never wanted your service, I tried it for an hour and didn't like it. Go away and give me my money back." Took a long time to sort that out and, sorry Charlie, I don't remember who I called at AOL.

Reply to
Dave Hinz