Anyone want a pedal-powered canoe (in the UK)?

Hi folks,

When I was a teenager I built a pedal-powered canoe. It's made out of plywood without any curves, sealed by mastic in screwed-down joints, and has parts of a child's bike as the propulsion system. So its appearance is very Heath Robinson.

I never quite finished the project because I stopped spending time with a friend who had a lake. But I got to the stage where it was tested as keeping the water out. Then it was varnished and forgotten about. As I recall, the things that need finishing are securing the paddles to the shaft, adding a belt to transmit the power (pretty much anything would do here) and making a rudder to suit the bracket. So it's an almost-finished project that's about 15 years old, and has been stored under cover.

It seems a shame to junk it, so it's free to a good home. We're on the Shropshire-Staffordshire border. Anyone got a teenage son who might enjoy it? This is a Dangerous Book for Boys type of project, although it pre-dates the book by about a decade.

E-mail me (cdt22 AT cantab DOT net) if you want it or need more information.

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

PS: It's probably big enough for an adult too :-).

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Give it a Viking funeral.

John S.

Reply to
John S

--Put wheels on it and you can use it for transportation at Burning Man!

Reply to
steamer

I'd love to take it on but the truth is it'd join all those other unfinished projects and I'd suffer more distress from SWMBO.

Reply to
1501

The canoe has now been rehomed.

Chris