Anyone using General 75-050 mortiser?

Is anyone using the General 75-050 mortiser? I'm interested in the comments (good/bad) of owners.

Thanks, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

JGS

Nate -

Got it, love it, wish I could have waited for the tilt head version.... Plenty of power, good chisels, good fit and finish and beefy hold down. The cheeks of the mortises it cuts are smoother than other MM's I've used and WAY tighter than I'd ever get with a mortising chisel. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

YMMV,

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

Does anyone know who sells the 75-050 T. I was it in the wood review but I can't find anyone who sells it. Even Generals web site doesn't list it.

Reply to
TBone

"TBone" wrote in news:GFjvd.5059$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

The list of distributors can be found at the General website.

Most of the distributors I talked to were aware of the T model, but everyone I contacted was out of stock until January.

Good luck, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

What's the different between the 75-050 and the 75-050 T?

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news:l5SdnYHrFPbzPyPcRVn- snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

The 75-050T has the tilting head (as opposed to the 75-050M1, which has a fixed head). Also, it has a slightly different column, a slightly wider base, and weighs about 20 lbs more. It also costs about $50-$75 more. Both have the same front and top clamp holddown mechanism.

I think the 75-050M1 has been out for a couple of years, but as far as I can tell the 75-050T only came out this spring.

Regards, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

So I can assume that the T model is the little brother to the 75-075 model? I've had my eye on the 075 model for awhile, but only because it had the tilting option. IF the 050 T model tilts, then it sounds like the best of both worlds ~ lower price but still tilt capable.

Reply to
Upscale

or one of those horrible compromises that is weak in all features. For example, adding the tilting feature possibly weakens the upright strength of the original tool and is not robust enough to do the tilt cut properly.

Mind you, I have no opinion on this matter or any experience with this particular tool, I'm just pointing out an alternate possibility based on my experience with other equipment.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Yes, it makes sense to consider all variables. However, my tendency is to buy better quality products, especially tools and that usually mandates my researching opinions on usage as well as examining them in person first.

Reply to
Upscale

Wood Magazine did its review on mortises and named the 75-050 T its top choice. I doubt that it has been weakened by the tilt feature enough to effect it in any way for the job it was designed for.

Reply to
TBone

I looked on their web site but could not find it in any of the distributors listed. Which ones did you contact?

Reply to
TBone

"Upscale" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

The 075 model is really a step up ... more comparable to the Powermatic

719 w/tilt. The 075 has better stops all the way around and handwheels moving the bed in x and y.

The 050T is really more like the 050M1, except that the column and base appear to have been beefed up to permit the tilt. Otherwise the 050T looks to be pretty much the same as the 050M1.

The only place I've seen a review of the 050T is in the July issue of Wood magazine. It's a pretty new model, just released last spring.

Good luck! Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

"TBone" wrote in news:K%Cvd.6562$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Here's the link of all US distributors:

's another link for distributors in Canada, etc. Their distribution network is not the greatest it seems.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

doesn't

Hey folks,

I picked up my new General 75-050T mortiser last night. Nice machine! A few observations:

- It's pretty heavy for a benchtop (about 90 lbs or so). Seems a lot beefier than most of the benchtops.

- The tilt head model is more pricey than the average benchtop at $379. But then again it's a step up in terms of mass, appearance, and features compared to most of the benchtops. The non-tilt was $319.

- High fence with a good clamping front hold down, as well as a topside hold down. I love the frontside clamp and handwheel. The only drawback I saw was that the frontside holddown and the topside holddown cannot both be used simulaneously if the wood you are using is less than about 2.5" tall. Could be fixed if General made the frontside clamp attach a little lower to the table. Frankly the frontside hold down is good enough that I don't see much need for the topside second clamp.

- The horizontal and vertical stops as well as the frontside clamp are all done with hand knobs (no tools). Nice. The only tool required is a chuck key, which has a holder on the back of the unit.

- The four supplied chisels are pretty sharp out of the box ... they work well once the auger to chisel depth is set correctly according to the manual (like all mortisers, they'll clog if the auger is set too shallow). I'm still going to polish the sides and get the Lee Valley cones.

- The long hand crank is very comfortable, and the top end of range travel adjustment is nice.

- Only did about two dozen holes (mostly in poplar). No binding, etc, with clean holes. Seemed to take very little effort and the chips were coming out pretty cleanly. I need to test it out on hard maple to see if it's as smooth.

- The manual is a little skimpy but a mortiser isn't that complicated. There are a minimum number of parts to assemble and with common sense it's no sweat. A better manual would be nice but most woodworkers will have no problems figuring it out.

- I have yet to try the head tilt or head extension. Maybe tonight.

I bought this unit in Denver at a place called Tool Zone. Cool place if you are in the area. They have lots of tools ... Jet, General, Powermatic, etc sitting on the floor. Prices are reasonable and they seemed to want to spend a lot of time cultivating repeat customers.

Cheers, Nate

p.s. Usual disclaimer: no relation to General or Tool Zone other than as a customer.

Reply to
Nate Perkins