Anyone use the Grizzly 3 HP shaper?

I know that buyng Grizzly is always a shot in the dark... I'm considering their G1026 3 HP shaper. I can get it, a power feeder, and a nice start kit of bits for less than the price of a 3 HP Delta. I'm just a weekend warrior and won't be betting my business on this piece of equipment. I have their 8 inch joiner and couldn't be happier. Maybe this is a good tool that somehow snuck in too.

Any comments?

Reply to
me

No personal experience but I have been looking at this same unit. I found this great article

leaned me a bit towards the Bridgewood, although for the price...

I haven't decided yet.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Be careful there. You may buy the Grizzly, it could explode and cause ecological disaster.

There are many professional shops who are equipped with Grizzly. Somehow or another they are coping successfully.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reply to
thewoodshop

I guess that the Grizzly shapers are ok, and I know a guy who has two of them and makes money with them. Still, they are not necessarily of the quality standard which I like personally. I bought a grizzly fence for my Delta shaper, and it wasn't square. I bought a Grizzly 454 20" planer and the crank handle wasn't right and I had to re-drill the holes to fix it. The motor on the planer had a plastic fan which came loose and had to be replaced. The knives are of soft metal and need to be replaced. I bought also a gauge, and the bottom wasn't flat. Guy at Grizzly said that they can't inspect but a few. Indeed, what you get is crated in China and you get it that way.

I still buy some Grizzly shaper cutters and some other small stuff, but will never again buy any machines.

I have not had their shaper, but have had good service out of a Delta, a Weaver, and a Ritter. I also keep a small Sears 1/2" spindle job for small detail stuff.

Best wishes, woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff