anyone near a menards

I don't have a menards around here. Swingman showed some band clamps on an office he did for a client. Rockler wants $50... for these clamps.

If you're in Menards, take a look at these puppies and let me know how they are, I'll order them if they are any good.

Thanks....

woodchucker

I wish I would, that would make my life almost perfect. What would make it perfect would be to have a Menards and a Fry's Electronic.

We lived in Indianapolis until about 3 years ago and had both with in about 10 miles of our house.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 21:17:47 -0500, woodchucker

Do you have to have those models of clamps? I have these Lee Valley ones and they work quite well.

none

I have Menards close by and will take a look at these for you on Friday.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

I have Bessey's right now, and this one from Menards and Rockler is single handed use, so y ou can retract the band while guiding it with the other hand, quite useful.

Reply to
woodchucker

Thanks Larry.

Reply to
woodchucker

Description shows it as 1 inch by 16 inch. How often would you need something that small? WW

I don't have a menards around here. Swingman showed some band clamps on an office he did for a client. Rockler wants $50... for these clamps.

If you're in Menards, take a look at these puppies and let me know how they are, I'll order them if they are any good.

Thanks....

WW

Pretty sure that should be 16'

Reply to
woodchucker

Looking at it now. Strap is 1 inch by 16 feet. Looks decent although the liners on the corner pads look pretty chintzy. Housing is plastic. It is packaged so I could not try the ratchet mechanism.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Wolcraft is 16' and looks to be identical (except color) to the Masterforce:

Might save a couple of bucks on shipping and not have to wait 10+ weeks.

- Jan 26 it was $27.26:

Spalted Walt

Ok, thanks. The corners are not that critical to me, I have a bunch of bessey's, but I'll bet the ones supplied are ok enough.

Thanks for your time Larry.

Reply to
woodchucker

You will very quickly find the value in the corners that attach to the strap. If the Bessey ones don't, consider getting ones that do.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I only meant that I had the besseys, yes the corners are critical, but I think if the bessey's fit, I am good. I had bought extras for my bessey band clamp. If this single handed unit is that good, I'll get another at a later time.

Banding can be a pain when you only have 2 hands.

Swingman said he got his when they were about 19... so that was a great deal for them.

Reply to
woodchucker

Just so I'm clear and especially since you bring up hand issues... When the corner brackets do not attach to the strapping, it can be very frustrating because they will slip out of position as you are putting them on the corners of your stock. When positioning, they are free to slip off and you need to keep constant tension on the strap when positioning each successive corner bracket. A real PITA.

Reply to
-MIKE-

When the corner brackets to attach to the strap it is still a PIA. you have to realize you are trying to get the strap around, slightly cinched quickly.. since you are holding your glue up together and don't want to let that loose. Tape can only hold small items, not BIG ones. So regardless of whether you use corners or not, the goal is to get the unit tightened up enough that you can free your hands to work on the getting the corners or other straps in place.

If I can simply put the band around, press the button to let the strap autosize and then singlehandedly apply pressure, then wow, I can get that clamped much more easily and with less cursing :-(

Reply to
woodchucker