Anyone know what happened to Veritas Sliding Square at Lee Valley?

Single most useful marking tool in my shop, and I turned a friend on to it, only to find that it's not in the most recent catalog, and the web site says "No Longer Available."

Anyone know what gives?

Reply to
Jim Campbell

Well, look down in the group and there's a thread by Robin Lee himself. He seems to always answer questions, so there ya go.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Yep - I do....:)

Our blade sub-contractor went out of business...and we haven't yet found a suitable replacement - at least one where the tolerances can be held, at a rational price...

We're working on it's resurrection..

Cheers -

Rob Lee President Lee Valley Tools Ltd. Veritas Tools Inc.

Reply to
Robin Lee

Speaking of working on stuff...

What happened to the nice 24" straight edge(made in Germany) that you used to carry ???

Reply to
Pat Barber

Hi -

Answer (posted previously to another BB) is below....

Cheers -

Rob

Basically - the vendor was purchased by a new owner, who didn't have the same views on how to conduct a reputable business...

We had one shipment of product which he'd had made in China (not Germany)and shipped it to us without saying anything. When it was discovered, we'd already shipped hundreds out to customers. He didn't want us to tell the customers about it, and only wanted us to replace the product for those that complained.

At our own expense - we notified all affected buyers, and either refunded or replaced the product with the original made in Germany.

You either stand behind what you sell, or you don't. He didn't - and that was the end of a 25 year purchase history (you'll note the "German" brass caliper is gone too).

Replacement's are in development (Veritas), and may be available in Jan or Feb....higher tolerances too!

Cheers,

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

LV never disappoints me, except in the interminable delay opening a Saskatoon store.

;-)

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yea, I'm waiting for one in Seattle or at least Vancover BC.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

There's one in Vancouver on SE Marine Dr.

Lucky bastids.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Wow - It's only two hours from here. Sounds like a nice drive on Saturday

8=) Erik
Reply to
Erik Ahrens

"Erik Ahrens" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

there are two in Vancouver....

Reply to
stickdoctorq

There's also one in Coquitlam. Bring SWMBO and make her a deal - she can have what she wants in the kitchen/gardening section if you get what you want in tools.

Armour plate your credit card.

Mike

PS - the in-store order forms should have a check box: "I'll take one of everything" - that would save time.

Reply to
Michael Daly

Well, I have to say that I was ready to order several items from someone other than Lee Valley. After reading this and other post from Robin, I just placed the order, but at Lee Valley, and will continue to in the future. Just wish LV stocked the Incra V27. Thanks Robin, Ken

Please change the ORG to a NET if replying via email..

Reply to
Ken M.

Now, if we could just get more stores on the east coast, like in say.....Miramichi, New Brunswick?!

Ed

Reply to
Ed G

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 05:39:34 GMT, "Michael Daly" brought forth from the murky depths:

I believe the CC would require something more along this line:

could be trained directly on the card during its heated use.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Michael Daly" wrote in news:qAmob.129286$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Be careful with that approach....as Ikea, Linens & Things and Pier One are all in close proximity to the Coquitlam Lee Valley......

Reply to
stickdoctorq

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:39:35 GMT, "Ed G" scribbled

To the back of the line! Whitehorse first, Saskatoon second. Only then can Chatham-Newcastle be considered. :)

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi