Any Reason Not To Use A Rockler Cross Cut Sled? (2023 Update)

You'll notice I didn't say "buy", I said "use".

I'll start by saying that I don't need another cross cut sled. I've made 2 of my own, a large one and a small one. They work perfectly fine.

The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not there is anything inherently wrong with the Rockler Cross Cut sled. Yes, it cost $150. Yes, the drop-off platform is another $38. Yes, it is constructed of materials known to be harmful to residents of Califormia. But you don't have to pay for it and you don't live in CA. (Well, most of you don't.)

If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and drop-off table, is there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would forgo it's use and continue using your home made sled, other than the emotional attachment to your good ole sled?

DerbyDad03

On 4/13/2018 2:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Do either of the ones you've made include the angle gauge and pivot or are they simply crosscut as virtually every homemade (regardless of how precise of simple or fancy) I've ever seen has been?

What's the downside of simply accepting something offered as for free and trying it out to see if it will replace something else; you can always pass it on if not or throw it in the dustbin if it's really useless...

Reply to
dpb

"THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH A CONTRACTOR/PORTABLE TABLE SAW"

From the 1st comment of this vid:

"I bought one, with the cheer leading from my local Rockler staff, buried on the info somewhere on the back page on line 16 or 18 is the most vital information you need to know. "THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH A CONTRACTOR/PORTABLE TABLE SAW" Seems to me that this relevant bit of information should be oh I don't know on the first line or even on the box! Second it would have been nice to have had the staff at least mention this small but ever so pertinent bit of information."

Reply to
Spalted Walt

.... and Will Sampson says the opposite @ 0:10 in:

:-/

Reply to
Spalted Walt

So that would be a vote for the Rockler unit, I guess.

No downside, merely trying to prevent the "It's $200! I could build one in

10 minutes for free with scraps" argument. Trying to ensure folks stay focused on the pro and cons of the device itself.

After all, this is usenet. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If someone gave it to me I would use it, would also be grateful especially those big numbers on the angle indicator.

But I am not going to stimulate the economy and spend the over $190 at Rockler. Emotional attachment is to the money.

Reply to
Markem

Well, it is a copy of the Dubby. If you are going to get it for free, jump on it. If you were going to buy you should consider the Dubby. It is larger and you can buy for either side get both. Mine are almost 20 years old. Very accurate.

Leon

OK, my money is on:

and

;-)

Reply to
krw

I guess I should show mine, again. :-)

-MIKE-

Pretty cool!

Reply to
Leon

Nice!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Very nice Mike. I have a bunch of 4x8' 3/4" ceder plywood painted white from an above ground pool I destructed and made a couple of sliding tables from it, looks just like the stuff you used, and wonder if that's where you got your painted plywood?

Anyhow, that is a nice sled, but pretty sure it won't work as you actually made it yourself instead of spending a huge wad of cash like some in this group seem to require in order to cut a straight line. Something about the more you spend, the straighter the line, or 'I buy it because I can'. I like the 'I build it because I can' stuff. You can, and did. Excellent.

Reply to
Jack

You just can't help yourself can you?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reply to
Leon

Eaten up with jealousy as his comments and views are irrelevant and most often out of touch.

Reply to
Leon

At least those that buy the tools, that he applies his tool snobbery too, actually build something. I do not recall seeing any thing lately that he has accomplished with his favored tools. Can you guess who appears under another name when Leon makes a comment about Festool?

Reply to
Leon

The sheet I used is actually regular old melamine covered particle board. I use the stuff for temporary project tables because it's cheap, flat, bright, and glue doesn't stick to it. I had just finished a bookcase job and had the sheets from the tables, so I used them for the sled and my outfeed table.

Thanks, Jack. For me it all depends on whether I have more time than money or more money than time. Sometimes, I'll pay to buy a jig or device I need to finish a paid project. But most times, I do like the satisfaction of building them myself.

I think for people new to woodworking, building jigs is an excellent way to learn and practice many different skills and techniques.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Oh My Gosh! How could you? Tool Snob! Tool Snob! Tool Snob!

;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Just a note here Mike. Glue Does stick to Melamine, if you are careful you can get it off. My old Jet cabinet saw had the same material for the right extension table, AKA my glue up station. There were chunks of Melamine missing where glue would drip and a scrap piece of wood would be placed. ;~) If the glue simply dried/cured on the surface I used a cabinet scraper to remove the blob.

True! It often makes sense to build a jig as it can be so unique that you can not buy one. And then there are times when time is money and getting the job done on time out weighs the cost of the jig.

+1
Reply to
Leon

Well, yeah, I didn't mean it doesn't stick at all. But it doesn't "hold." I use a piece of hardwood with a sharply cut edge to slide along the surface. When it hits a dried glue blob, the blob just "pops!" right off a flies through the air. It's kind of fun, actually... like popping bubble wrap.

Exactly! I'm actually thinking about buying one of those Kreg cabinet hinge installation jigs. They look like they save a LOT of time in measuring/marking and they let you do it with one hand.

Reply to
-MIKE-