Any Reason Not To Use A Rockler Cross Cut Sled?

You'll notice I didn't say "buy", I said "use".
I'll start by saying that I don't need another cross cut sled. I've made 2 of my own, a large one and a small one. They work perfectly fine.
The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not there is anything inherently wrong with the Rockler Cross Cut sled. Yes, it cost $150. Yes, the drop-off platform is another $38. Yes, it is constructed of materials known to be harmful to residents of Califormia. But you don't have to pay for it and you don't live in CA. (Well, most of you don't.)
If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and drop-off table, is there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would forgo it's use and continue using your home made sled, other than the emotional attachment to your good ole sled?
www.rockler.com/tablesaw-crosscut-sled
On 4/13/2018 2:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Do either of the ones you've made include the angle gauge and pivot or are they simply crosscut as virtually every homemade (regardless of how precise of simple or fancy) I've ever seen has been?
What's the downside of simply accepting something offered as for free and trying it out to see if it will replace something else; you can always pass it on if not or throw it in the dustbin if it's really useless...

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 4:54:14 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

So that would be a vote for the Rockler unit, I guess.

No downside, merely trying to prevent the "It's $200! I could build one in 10 minutes for free with scraps" argument. Trying to ensure folks stay focused on the pro and cons of the device itself.
After all, this is usenet. ;-)
On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 14:33:03 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

OK, my money is on:
<https://www.woodcraft.com/products/incra-miter-express and <https://www.woodcraft.com/products/incra-miter-gauge-1000hd
;-)

"THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH A CONTRACTOR/PORTABLE TABLE SAW"
From the 1st comment of this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN4MFLb_MKs

"I bought one, with the cheer leading from my local Rockler staff, buried on the info somewhere on the back page on line 16 or 18 is the most vital information you need to know. "THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH A CONTRACTOR/PORTABLE TABLE SAW" Seems to me that this relevant bit of information should be oh I don't know on the first line or even on the box! Second it would have been nice to have had the staff at least mention this small but ever so pertinent bit of information."

.... and Will Sampson says the opposite @ 0:10 in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XhMukW7Xt0

:-/
On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 12:30:26 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

If someone gave it to me I would use it, would also be grateful especially those big numbers on the angle indicator.
But I am not going to stimulate the economy and spend the over $190 at Rockler. Emotional attachment is to the money.
I would (did) spend another $130 and get the incredibly accurate incra 5000.
On 4/13/2018 2:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, it is a copy of the Dubby. If you are going to get it for free, jump on it. If you were going to buy you should consider the Dubby. It is larger and you can buy for either side get both. Mine are almost 20 years old. Very accurate.
http://www.in-lineindustries.com/products/dubby-the-original-table-saw-sled/
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:

I guess I should show mine, again. :-)
https://youtu.be/DPg5xdeyCQk

https://youtu.be/DPg5xdeyCQk

--

-MIKE-

On 4/14/2018 2:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Pretty cool!
On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 3:26:17 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:

ree,

y.  It

st 20

sled/

Nice!
On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Very nice Mike. I have a bunch of 4x8' 3/4" ceder plywood painted white from an above ground pool I destructed and made a couple of sliding tables from it, looks just like the stuff you used, and wonder if that's where you got your painted plywood?
Anyhow, that is a nice sled, but pretty sure it won't work as you actually made it yourself instead of spending a huge wad of cash like some in this group seem to require in order to cut a straight line. Something about the more you spend, the straighter the line, or 'I buy it because I can'. I like the 'I build it because I can' stuff. You can, and did. Excellent.
--
Jack
On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 9:19:30 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:

You just can't help yourself can you?
On 4/15/2018 8:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Eaten up with jealousy as his comments and views are irrelevant and most often out of touch.
On 4/15/2018 11:25 AM, Leon wrote:

Hey, perfect punctuation, and you actually typed something before sending.
+1
--
Jack

Even a blank post has a higher information content than yours.
On 4/16/2018 12:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

-1
--
Jack