Any Opinions on this?

I looked at the beadlock and dowelmax, but neither offer

7/16" option for dowels. I guess I'll just stick with the way I've been doing it for years
Reply to
ChairMan

Thanks, I would probably just use it with one bit, since

32mm isn't my normal spacing for me. I thenk it does have an indexing feature, though
Reply to
ChairMan

I read the reviews and said it got so-so reviews and wanted to know if the alignment issues weren't operator issues and not the tool

Reply to
ChairMan

War? That was a very civil discussion.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I know......but sarcasm doesn't type well Hell, I learnt that even the domino ya gotta wallow, who woulda thunk it

Reply to
ChairMan

A time honored method of installation.

I started out a few decades ago using dowels, a hand drill and a drilling jig. Loved dowels and found them to be quite an asset to strength, but time consuming for multiple dowels to be used in a fit up.

Then we all went to splines, and bought quarter inch stock and sized it on a hand powered miter saw to get the correct length. We cut the mortises as needed with a fly bit though, using a router. If we were being finicky, we could clean up the edges of our cut groove with a quarter in chisel.

Went to biscuits as it was essentially our fly cutter permanently mounted in a machine that we could move. Much more portable, and not so much over travel to make sure you got the mortise large enough to shift for alignment purposes. Used it for years, found the maker of the biscuits as well as the storage method directly affected fit.

Realized that with today's modern glue, didn't really need biscuits like I thought I did, and went back to glue only on layups. Still like the biscuit for 90 degree edge joints.

Tried many other forms of all wood joinery, and became happy with the occasional use of the biscuit machine again. (Believe it or not, Leon had a hand in that!)

Still looking for the perfect system. Can't justify the Domino, although I have tried every way I can to do so. To me, it looks about as perfect as automated joint cutting devices can be, and certainly Leon's inventiveness in using it for all manner of joinery bear that out.

Maybe one day...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No war at all! I figured that others were reading also an might appreciate the info..

Reply to
Leon

I use biscuit where sheer strength isn't an issue, but when it comes to putting a furniture frame together. Arms, rails and back posts *have to be* doweled. As far as storing buscuits, I've started putting those little silca packs that ya get in your vitamins and such in the jar to absorb moisture. works pretty good(so far)

Reply to
ChairMan

Agreed!

I use biscuits rarely but when I do it is for alignment. Screws, pins, plugs, whatever has the strength afterwards. Even glue is tougher - the biscuits keep the parts from sliding.

Mart> snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn