An old brand but new to me, Lawrence McFadden

Several weeks ago I learned that Bartley finishes had been acquired by Lawrence McFadden. Apparently Lawrence McFadden has been around for quite some time and is a family owned business. I was inquiring about buying some Bartley's stain from them and the service manager and I exchange emails discussing their product and the Bartley product. He was in need of an older Bartley stain color that I had and offered a generous trade. I traded

1/2 of a 1/2 pint of Bartley Golden Oak Gel stain and I got 2 quarts of the LMF product in return. I chose a gel stain and their gel varnish.

I had a small job this week and tried the LMF gel varnish and was very impressed. Better IMHO than Bartley's on a good day and much better than General Finishes Gel Varnish. Thicker than General Finishes but thinner than Bartley's on a good day. The varnish went on evenly and did not start drying immediately. The product will set in 95 degree heat for a "few" minutes until you can wipe off the excess with out your wiping towel sticking to the finish. No wipe marks were visible and I was able to apply

4 coats yesterday between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm.

The beauty to gel varnishes if you have not used one is that clean up involves washing your hands unless you wear gloves. You can almost immediately handle the pieces and dust IS NOT a problem. Runs are non existent and if you accidentally leave a glob it can be dissolved away with the application of more varnish at that spot.

They sent me a bulk price sheet and IIRC the single quart price is about par for a gel stain at about $15-$16 per quart. IF you buy by the case you get a substantial savings.

1 case of 4 quarts is $32.60 1 case of 6 pints is 30.06 1 case of 12, 1/2 pints is 40.66 The quart case price is about 1/2 the normal single quart price.

affiliation other than getting a couple of free samples.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:Gv4vi.44947$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net:

So, Leon, this looks pretty good. But this seems to be a 'trade-only' operation, not that that's bad. But it could take me better than a decade to go through a case of gel varnish.

No dealer network?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Check out the "Shop Online" button.

**
**

B A R R Y

B A R R Y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well, I started to, but the website slowed down to 'too slow to wait for'. I guess I'm just an impatient old fart.

Can I buy less than a case at a time?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Yes they sell Gel Paints, Varnishes, and Stains 1 quart, pint, and 1/2 pint at a time.

Keep in mind however if you buy only 2 quarts you can get the 4 quart case price for just a couple dollars more.

Also, I forgot to mention, this is an oil based varnish however contrary to the normal amber color that most oil based varnishes have this one is kinda purple. I noticed that the wood does not yellow as much when applied like most oil based varnishes.

Reply to
Leon

IIRC you buy direct and you can buy in less than case quantities. They do sell to the public.

Reply to
Leon

So is Pratt & Lambert "38".

Hmmmmm...

**
**

B A R R Y

B A R R Y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Leon got me started yesterday. There's a new Sherwin Williams store in the town, and I went looking. They had less than the much more conveniently located hardware store. And NO Pratt & Lambert. Pointed me to the Ace Hardware down the street, which I hadn't been into in several years. Still haven't.

Most of the Sherwin Williams owned brands seem to be sold 'elsewhere', or so it seemed at first blush.

This proper finishing technique stuff is somewhat of a pain.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch