amazon or not?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:28:05 GMT, Steve Knight brought forth from the murky depths:

I forgot about the Paypal fees, and that's the price I quoted for Ebay. But why $35 even if a no-sale? Are you buying a store from these guys? If so, put more up for sale so the percentages go down.

========================================================== Save the +

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

it's a little over 6.00 to post a auction reserve auction and in two locations. then if the plane does not sell then I really start loosing money if it is a oddball plane. I spend from 120.00 to 300.00 in ebay fee's every month.

Reply to
Steve Knight

eBay now whacks you for part of the final value of a reserve price auction UP FRONT, even if the item dosen't sell. My guess would be that they got tired of people putting high reserves up, only to not sell the item on eBay, and later selling it offline to the highest bidder that participated in the auction. eBay was the $0.35 advertising service in those cases.

I recently got surprised by this when eBaying a $4000 bicycle.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I tried selling without a reserve. but if I start the auction at 95.00 no one even looks at it.

Reply to
Steve Knight

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:06:23 GMT, Steve Knight brought forth from the murky depths:

Have you tried pricing them at Buy Now or higher UNreserved prices?

What 2 locations?

O U C freakin' H!

========================================================== Save the +

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm not Steve, but what would a Buy It Now price have to do with a reserve, or lack of one?

Starting an auction at a high price usually means no one bids. I've tried listing $200 items with a $100 first bid, no one bids! Start it at $2 or $5 and it's $120 in two days. There's some interesting psychology in auctions, some of which defies common sense.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

You got that right. I tried to buy Pagemaker at Ebay and kept getting knocked out of what I thought was a reasonable price range. I mean, new the sucker costs something like $350. Buying some unknown guy's bundle for $295 is not a good deal in my mind.

Auctions can be weird. I missed a couple where the item I wanted went for well under my cut off...but the damned bids came in the last THIRTY SECONDS of auctions that ended when I had to be elsewhere instead of on Ebay. The snipers do reasonably well some of the time, but other times they just inflate prices. I learned almost immediately to set a hard and fast final price. I may or may not bid up to that price at the start, but I don't ever go beyond it.

Saves wear and tear on the plastic.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

Amen bruddah. Pick your price, stick to it. If a sniper wants it more than you do, let him have it and walk away.

It's cheaper that way too, since I lose 99% of my auctions. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I have a personal policy of sell on eBay, usually buy elsewhere.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:51:40 GMT, Steve Knight brought forth from the murky depths:

Perhaps Primetime Ebay isn't ready for the growingly-famous "Knight Toolworks" name. I'm surprised you don't have them in stores yet. Perhaps Phully could help you with the uptime lowdown on some elves for your own shop.

========================================================== Save the +

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I do buy it now and I have tried unreserved. but if I do the unreserved I hardly get any looks at all. they see the price and skip right over. I average about

100 looks per plane every week. when I did a plane starting at 95.00 I got 17 looks.
Reply to
Steve Knight

I watch newbies come and overbid on something I want all of the time.

very true. for say cycling jerseys I bid maybe 5.00 on the ones i want I may or may not get them but Ibid as soon as I see and that's it.

Reply to
Steve Knight

ebay is good for advertizing them for sure. but not great for selling them. I do have them in the local woodcraft. but they have only sold one or two. but they have only had them for two or three months. sold one to the local woodcrafters store it was a cocobolo coffin plane. took them a year to sell it I would have sold it a dozen times over. but I need less planes on ebay as they compete with my regular prices too much.

Reply to
Steve Knight

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 05:40:05 GMT, Steve Knight brought forth from the murky depths:

Really. With lower prices plus the fees, you're not doing yourself any favors by using Ebay. Selling fewer planes there sounds like a good idea for you.

========================================================== Save the +

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 05:35:15 GMT, Steve Knight brought forth from the murky depths:

If you want looks, keep doing what you're doing. If you want full-value sales, a route other than Ebay is indicated.

========================================================== Save the +

Endangered SKEETS! + Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Steve Knight

I haven't sold on Amazon, but I have sold on both ebay and half.com (which works just like Amazon, but no listing fee and no time limit). Here some advantages of those two systems which I believe will apply to ebay vs. Amazon as well: [some may not apply to plane sales]

ebay advantages- potential higher prices, people often pay too much higher traffic

ebay disadvantages- you have to 'watch' your auctions you have to collect money people sometimes don't pay PayPal fees categories are mostly unsupervised and many categories are overun with improper postings [sounds like usenet]

half.com advantages- they collect the money payment is instant they notify you when there is sale categories are better organized and supervised than ebay

Obviously, some may not apply to Amazon, but I would give it a try if I were you. The peace of mind is worth it.

Reply to
McQualude