after the fact

was undecided on the location and position of the wood racks so i finished the walls and thought on it a while

found a good idea in an old taunton press book forget the author

great for keeping the wood up and out of the way by bill hylton

two blocks get lag screwed to wall studs then two two by fours sandwich the blocks with bolts

then a cantilever two by six about two feet long for the shelf rest is sandwiched and bolted

then gussets are made from ply or whatever that rest against the vertical two by fouurs and screwed to the two by six cantilevers

super sturdy wood up out of the way and used up some old two by materials

Reply to
Electric Comet

Lordy. That seems like a lot of wood and work to put some wood on shelves. I'd suggest just screwing several of those L shelf brackets to the studs. Home Depot sells them for $1.98 and $2.38 each. If you are worried about the L brackets pushing into the drywall, then screw some 1x4s over the stu ds first before attaching the L bracket to the stud.

Reply to
russellseaton1

In all reality, standing your wood up does several things for you, it takes less space, gives more air around it, makes it more easily accessible and allows to more clearly see what you are dealing with.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

AND if you have already installed the supports, you have ready made bins for separating you species and sizes.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

And requires 10' to 16' ceilings, at least for a lot of the stock I get.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

kes less space, gives more air around it, makes it more easily accessible a nd allows to more clearly see what you are dealing with.

Agree. My shop is in the basement. Ceilings, floor joists, are about 7.5 feet high, give or take a couple inches. I cannot even stand up a 4x8 plyw ood in my basement. Unless you work in a warehouse, standing wood up verti cally is nonsense. Fine for cutoffs, but not wood you buy for use.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I cut a big hole in my basement ceiling. I chose my wood from the dining room. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

it has a nice architectural look to it and the old redwood looks good

the cantilevers match the other rack i made

those i placed before drywall

i hear ya on the extra work but i can do pull ups too on these and i had all the wood on hand and even the lag bolts

did have to get four long bolts but that was all

Reply to
Electric Comet

but takes up floor space and requires high ceilings

Reply to
Electric Comet