advice on finishing needed from the experienced guys

Hello, i am looking for advice from experienced woodworkers on which finish to use. I am looking for a clear finish (preferably gloss) which is 100% sealed from the air. Maybe i am expecting too much but if their is a one coat, titanium hard, 100% impenatrable barrier to the elements, lasts a long time and will kill any existing worms and infestation finish out their i would like to here where i can get it. Maybe someone can share grandads secret recipe with me?.......i once saw a carving from green mold infested wood covered in a thich transparent gloss finish which obviosly preserved the piece in that state. I am looking for something which will effectivly allow me to preserve a fresh piece of green burr wood (worms mold and all) in its present state without deteriorating further. I assumed the piece i saw in the shop was such a good sealer that the worms could not survive without oxygen nor any life form and that the piece would not continue to deteriorate under the finish. Forgive me if this is a dumb post and question...i am a total begginer in woodwork and am prone to being too optomistic in what is possible and what is not.

thanks in advance for any suggestions that do not include people laughing or sugesting i try plumbing instead of woodwork

Reply to
alpha

No such thing. Poison them separately from sealing them in.

If you want unobtainium-hard finishes, look at floor finishes that are acid-catalysed before applying. But they look very "artificial".

Reply to
Andy Dingley