Advice buying bubble level

I need to buy a new 4 foot carpenter's level (NEVER LEND TOOLS!!! ) Went to HD & Lowes and both the Stanley and Johnson levels have non-adjustable bubbles. Checked them all, and only found one out of the seven that read level. Does anybody still make a level having adjustable bubbles? I got 40 years out of my last one and would like one of similar quality.

All suggestions welcome.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

| I need to buy a new 4 foot carpenter's level (NEVER LEND TOOLS!!! ) | Went to HD & Lowes and both the Stanley and Johnson levels have | non-adjustable bubbles. Checked them all, and only found one out | of the seven that read level. | Does anybody still make a level having adjustable bubbles? I got | 40 years out of my last one and would like one of similar quality. | | All suggestions welcome.

Ivan...

My ancient (Honduras mahogany body!) level grew legs - and after a long search I bought M-D Building Products' SmartTool with 48" and 24" bodies, their magnetic bracket, and a padded 48" carrying case. Total cost was somewhere around $120; but it was a good buy.

This is a digital level that has a self-calibration feature (only needed when changing batteries or bodies) and displays angles with 0.1 degree accuracy. It has a "hold" button, can be set to beep at level/plumb, and automatically flips the display for overhead work. My eyesight isn't what it once was and this level seems made to order.

Any similarity between their name and my initials is purely coincidental - I have no relationship with the company other than being a very satisfied customer.

Morris Dovey

I have a couple of Stabila levels. I can't remember if they're adjustable, but I've been very happy with them.

Reply to
B A R R Y

You DON'T want "adjustable" vials. You must get a gigh quality level on which the vials are ALWAYS precise and NOT adjustable. Then you need to buy Stabila levels and you will never look behind.

Greg D.

Reply to
Greg D.

Barry and Greg are right on. With Stabila levels you don't need and adjustment.

Reply to
Tom H

why would you want an adjustable level. The only thing I spend more for in a better level is that it is quality stalility and provides a permanently flat surface, and it is always level. I am curious b/c you would need a reference level surface available. I can image that you could use indicated graduations with a chart or something. Or you may always want the same slant, or several series of slants. Otherwise the only other way to go is redout/digital which is otherwise limited with graduations on a std. level. Again, why would one want an adjustable level?

Reply to
bent

actually I overlooked the fact that you could set the real level setting and then also set other settings, including all of the graduations, which could be calibrated to indicate a specific slope, distance from end to end, and therefore, multiples of that length. I'll take one. But the graduations(s) would be fixed, no?

Reply to
bent

I suppose I want an adjustable because I've been adjusting precision instruments daily (land surveyor) for the last 40+ years. With a carpenter's level it is child's play. Place on any surface (doesn't have to be level), note the reading, flip end for end, AND, if it is truly adjusted, you should get the same reading.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You need to call Starrett and tell them they are screwing up. They make levels that are accurate to .0001" per foot and they ARE adjustable.

Reply to
cmagers