24" level does it work

I am cutting (3) 4x4 support posts for beams supporting the joists of a deck. One corner post is at the height I need. The posts are 10' apart. Can I set a straight 2x10 on edge on the correct corner post and use a level at the next post to determine the correct height so that the post is level with the corner post? How accurate is a level used at the end of a 10' board? Once the second post is level with the corner post I was going to use the same technique until all the posts were level? Is there a better way to make sure the posts are level over 30'? thanks tom

Reply to
thomas.jacobs

Easy to make and more accurate than a laser level, can even level around blind corners.

RayV

You can have the most expensive level made. But $10 off clear hose a little tap water can't be beat especially for what your doing.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

It is just as accurate as you can read it. If you continue around back to the starting point I will put money on it that your marks won't line up.

As others have said - Water Level.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

For this job you definately want to use the water level that Ray points you to-

Well worth the time and infinately more accurate than what you were going to try.

If you just had one spot where you needed to 'extend' your 2 foot level-- use the straightest board you can find-- then turn it over and see if it reads the same.

It sounds like you are going to try to level post #2 from post #1. No matter what method or tool you use don't make that [common] mistake. Pick a point and make all your measurements from that point. As long as you get the bubbles out you can use a 50' piece of tubing in that bucket & tubing level. [from the sounds you can probably do your deck with a 20' piece.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Get you some clear plastic tubing put some water in it and you have your level that is absolutely correct (water seeks its level). Get the picture?. Besure the ends of your tube are open and the water in one end will be perfectly level with the water in the other end.

Reply to
tinacci336

Just use a garden hose. Fix one end at the known height and put the other end a little bit higher and fill with water. Lower the unknown end until water added just crowns the top of both ends. Or get real fancy and add a foot of clear to each end.

Reply to
bamboo

Yea - Water levels are good for this, as others have said.

Other options

-Transit

- String level (Sag is a problem over a long distance and not a great choice)

- laser level - This is what I would use (I have one already) B&D ones are cheap and will do the trick

sure you get an auto leveling type. I have this one
Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

For what it's worth, if you do that, and then split the difference, you generally end up pretty damn close.

But a water level is still a better idea.

Reply to
Goedjn