Adhesives question

Maybe off subject, but many in this group will have much practical experience of adhesives:- I have an instrument which has a thin card scale which is attached to a brass plate- made in about 1960 ish. The card has come away from the brass- what adhesive would they have used when it was made? I have tried simple paper glue ("Gloy" type) - used to be known as "gum arabic" - fails . Possibly could use pva type glue but I don't think it will stick to metal very well and if I get it wrong it will be all over the back of the card and won't come off easily- card needs to stick closely to the brass to stop things getting jammed - the extra glue layer may make things too thick. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Ledz

Clean very well - Super glue

Dave

Teamcasa

A thin layer of rubber cement?

Reply to
B a r r y

spray contact cement?

Dave

Reply to
David

PVA actually sticks well to metal but - as you said - it could mess up the card. Not so much by a remainder if you have to take it off (probably wouldn't be able to do so) but by wetting the card in the first place.

Offhand, I think of two things...

  1. Use the PVA but put it just on the metal and let it dry. Once dry, iron on the card with a hot iron (PVA is thermoplastic). That would obviate the potential problem of a liquid messing up the card.

  1. Use spray contact adhesive like that used for mounting graphics (you can get it at a framing shop). I don't think it will stick as well as PVA but should be OK. If you needed to remove the card, lacquer thinner is the solvent. Which might mess up the card's printing.

Someone suggested cyanoacrylic (Super Glue); personally, I wouldn't use it in this case. Someone else suggested rubber cement...should be safe but I have doubts about how well it would stick.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
Mike Berger

3M77 reminds me of thinned, sprayable, rubber cement.
Reply to
B a r r y

Yup. Slightly different smell, but sure acts the same.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

77 is one in a series ranging from post-it-note strength to stuff used in the assembly of airfoil surfaces in aircraft. 77 isn't the strongest, but it's toward that end of the range, IIRC
Reply to
bridger

Go to the 3M site. Lots of good application information on 77,90, hi-tack76, etc. I've used them all at various times. read the specs and see which one fits you're application the best.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Reply to
Ledz

Double-sided tape - archival quality - from an art store. It should stick just fine and the adhesive won't damage the card now or in the future.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Good suggestion.