About them @#$%ing strike plates, settling houses, a sledgehammer, and a bucket of prozac

No, you arrogant top-poster, I have access to a milling machine and prefer to do in one minute that which would take me three to do less well with a file.

Why the attitude? Hack away with a dremel if you want.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Charley said something like:

No, my house is basically a 2400sqft colonial, 2 story, with a full cement basement.

It does leak a small amount in one corner. Judging from the front door though, that is the corner that is staying "up".

I think.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Lobby Dosser said something like:

You're jogging my memory. I tried that a longggg time ago. I remember that the screw holes had a counter-sink bevel to them that was hard to replicate, requiring me to use a "flat" topped screw which looked awful.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I've done the same with a file. Didn't even take it out of the door, just used the tip of the file.

Reply to
fredfighter

I'm sure you can. But it would look like crap--unless you know how to use a milling machine. Those of us who know how to use files and don't have milling machines would much rather use the file that send it to you to be done on your milling machine.

Aside from which, I don't believe for a second that you could really do it faster on your milling machine than most anyone else could with a file, provided you take into account your set up time.

As to arrogance, you are the one who said filing would make it look like crap, which is where the arrogance was injected into this thread.

OTOH, I concur with your disdain for top-posting.

Reply to
fredfighter

"Dave Hinz" snapped back

Dave - I too have a mill. You and I both know it takes more than one minute to set it up. In the time you set up mill up, I'll have applied a half a dozen strokes done and the striker re-installed. That is, after the door was properly hung.

Dave

Teamcasa

Fair enough. The vise is already on the table, the 1/8" cutter is in the collet at the moment, so, well, whatever.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What part of "do it however the hell you want" aren't you getting about this conversation, exactly? I'd choose to use the mill. You'd choose to use the file. Someone else might use a nipper or something.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yeah, I figured the countersink would be the toughest part. Though, you could do it pretty easily on a mill. :o)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

As long as we're flaming, why not a cutting torch?

Anyhow, life would not be the same without ornery SOBs like you to get snippy with.

Have Merry Christmass Mr Hinz and the same to all you others.

Reply to
fredfighter

I understand that that point of view was never put forth by you. What was under discussion here was your proclamation that you had to buy expensive machine tools to make up for your lack of skill at simple projects.

Reply to
CW

I didn't say _you_ had to buy anything. I said _I_ would use the mill, which I'm sorry, gives better results than a file.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Because of your lack of skill with a file.

Reply to
CW

Yeah, sure, whatever, but my killfile works just fine.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On 12/23/2005 11:23 AM CW mumbled something about the following:

Not to mention his lack of skill with following a thread properly.

Reply to
Atticus Finch

Bugs said something like:

Excellent idea. I'll do that the next time I actually move the strike plate. Thanks!

What I did instead in this current situation:

  1. Discovered that I /had/ managed to solve this once before in another door. I had found a larger strike plate, one that was meant for exterior doors, and had mounted it in place. As it turns out, it is not as noticeable as I had thought it would be: This is proven by the fact that it is in the downstairs bathroom, and is a place I walk by many times, and did not notice. I had to go looking for it. And this thing wasn't even recessed into the wood, but mounted flat on top.

  1. Bought the identical SP from the local hardware store---I had previously disregarded these because I had thought that they were too large. Chiseled [carefully] a new hole, and new recess. And it works fine.

  2. No, I'm not sending anyone here pictures, because you'll just yell at me. ;)

Thanks everyone, all the advice is filed away mentally (and googley) for future reference!

Thomas, a software engineer trying his best to deal with things tangible

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall