A woodworking revelation

Being the proverbial apprentice termite, it just came up and whacked me upside the head . . . .

There are revelations and discoveries that surround us all the time that only through experience will we fully grasp. Well, I reached a stage in my apprenticeship where I realized the router in and of itself is a very useful tool, but the bits, tables, jigs and various sundry accessories can exceed the original cost of the router to a power of 10 (well, at least a power of

3).

I liken this to a DVD player or a boat or a . . (no, I won't go there. She might read this NG). They are all holes you are doomed forever to through money at!

Ah, the price man pays to maintain sanity 8~)

Happy Holloween

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

That should have been

'doomed forever to throw . .'

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

Seems like the router BIT manufacturers should begin giving away routers and make bits that fit only their machines, a la the printer manufacturers. That's where the real money is!

Reply to
Hitch

You haven't bought a lathe, have you?

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

throw this newbie a Bone! What is the revelation? Is it like getting Calculus finally? :-)

The router was another in my line of 'Damn... if I just had one of those I would be just like Norm' purchases.

The good thing is that I did buy a GOOD router, unlike most of my other power tools.

I do agree with you. I spent just under $200 on my router. $75 to make a table for it. $45 on my first set of 2 bits. $45 on a good spiral bit... you see where I'm going with this. I just kept going without seeing your revelation. Now I see it....

It's OK with me... as long as SWMBO doesnt see the revelation, I'm cool with it.

:-)

Mike W.

Reply to
Mike W.

I just did. :)

I got a lathe and got into hand planes simultaneously. I'm doomed to be broke forever.

Reply to
Silvan

Or just "license" the router to you, assuring that you will only buy bits from them ala Lexmark.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

What are you guys, nuts? Don't even joke about that.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

snip

You've discovered the corollary to Walt Akers axiom (sp?) "All tools cost $1,500 - over a lifetime." The full version of the corolllary you discovered is stated as "A tool that costs less than $1,500 in a lifetime will cost 41,500 once you've purchased all the accessories necessary to fully utilize the tool's full potential"

There are many more "rules" to uncover - The Potato Chip Rule - "Bet you can't eat just one." kicks in when you acquire your first hand plane, handsaw, set of bench chisels, carving chisels ...

Welcome to the slippery slope.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b