That trumpet case again... The latch holes were routed out with rounds on
either end. Hard to match that. So I decided to chisel them out square.
I did a fair job of it, but not perfect. There's a little irregularity to
the holes. Because of where the new hardware needs to sit to look right, I
have to put one of the new fasteners through this area, and the only thing
holding that side of the latch in place will be the piece of wood that
plugs this hole. It needs to be stuck in there right and tight.
It's oak plywood about 1/2" thick. Has some voids, and it's decidedly
splintery from where they sewed vinyl onto the edges of this thing with
some huge ass don't-want-to-put-my-finger-in-front-of-THAT-needle sewing
machine. (A sewing machine that can punch a needle through 1/2 of oak
plywood about ten times per inch gets all the respect it wants from me.
That ain't yer grandma's Singer, folks.)
So anyway... I'm thinking to lay a piece of paper across the hole and do a
rubbing so I can carefully fit something to all the slight irregularities.
I want to aim for a good press fit, but even at that, the other side of
this (the splintery, voidy oak ply) isn't the best for achieving a good
glue joint. The forces at play here will be trying to pull this plug
straight out of the hole from the top.
Maybe chamfer it so that it's smaller at the outside (the top) than the
inside? I have a little room to play, but not much. One side of this hole
is close to the joint between the bottom and the lid, and there's only
about 1/4" of wood there, with a lip on it, so it's mostly rather thin.
]]] <-- lid engages with this lip
<-- hole needs filling
]]]]]]] outside of case ---->
I can't get access all around to do dowels. I might could stick in a couple
of metal pins from two sides, if I can find a long, skinny bit and some
long, skinny rods. That still isn't going to help much, and I'd have to be
careful of putting the metal in a place that prevented me from putting the
screw through later.
get access to the back side of this, but I can't put anything thick
in there. Maybe 1/8" but no more. That suggests backing it up with a
piece of steel somehow, but that presents problems with the brass screw
that's going to go into this plugged hole.
That $50 trumpet case is looking better and better. :)
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan < firstname.lastname@example.org>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621
Click to see the full signature.