A little praise for Home Depot...

since I took them to task the other day I felt it only right to report on a good experience that I had yesterday.

Went to the paint dept. to pick up a gallon of custom mixed oil based and a bit more to finish off my latest project. While the line was a bit long and it took a while to get served, once I did the experience was quite pleasant.

Another cute young lady mixed my paint using the numbers off of the sample card, it was way darker than it should have been, she didn't just mix the paint and hand me off, she took the time to get it right and then made a note on the label as to what she did in case I need to get more. She also noted the discrepancy for future investigation.

More importantly than what she did was her attitude, she wanted to do right by me.She was friendly, apologetic for the machine not being correct, etc. The exact opposite of what I've come to expect from Home Depot in general.

Ironically, from talking with her a bit I found out she's relatively new to the dept. Another irony, while she was helping me one of the more experienced guys showed up, he was rude to each customer he spoke to, talked down to them like he was the freakin god of paint mixing. Sad, I hope she doesn't turn into one of those.

Unfortunately I didn't have time for a hot dog this time.

This was at the store in Monrovia, CA by the way. And nobody was stopping people to check their receipts either...

-- John Emmons

"when hatred calls with his package, refuse delivery..."

Reply to
John Emmons

Two years ago I bought two chemicals to clean my deck prior to staining. The clerk told me to use them in the wrong order. When I found out and complained, they not only gave me my money back, but a bit extra for the inconvenience.

Last year I bought a closeout transfer switch. It was defective. They took a comparable switch out of a kit and swapped with me.

I have no complaints about their service. Now Chase Pitkin; I don't even read their ads anymore...

Reply to
toller

Wow! Good for you. Exactly counter to my experiences with HD paint dept. I will go out of my way to buy paint elsewhere to avoid HD. Won't go into detail. Just to say that if it were my business and they were my employee they would be out the door....

Reply to
Jerry

In 12 years of buying paint at my local Home Depot I have never had a bad experience with either the employees or their product. But, I also don't expect a lot from Home Depot in general as far their employees being knowledgable. It is what it is, a big warehouse with minimum wage workers thrown into the fray and doing their best. As with anything it's best to do your homework before you buy and treat everyone with as much respect as you can muster.

Reply to
Matisse

workers thrown into the fray and doing their best. <

That is where you are wrong. Home Depot pays some of the highest wage rates in the industry and tries to hire people experienced in the field.

Like anywhere else, however, people are people. There are unreliable and rude contractors, just as there are unreliable and rude HD employees.

It all boils down to the individual's personal pride in doing a good job.

Gus

Reply to
Gus

ISTR reading on the Home Depot webpages that they offer consider autonomy to their mangers so it is no surprise that policies and attitudes are highly variable.

I mostly patronize the only one I've found that does NOT have a sign on the front door stating that they require drug testing of all applicants for employment. The general environment at that one is cleaner and better organized and the employees more numerous, helpful and competant than the norm. I dunno is that manager requires drug screening or not, it may simply be that he does not put a sign on the door. But just maybe he screeens his employess for qualifications other than their willingness to urinate on demand.

My personal opinion is that demonstrating that one wishes to earn an honest living by applying for a job is NOT an indicator of substance abuse.

Reply to
fredfighter

Absolutely agree. Everyone abuses something, whether or not it is on a government list.

Reply to
Leon

what? you question nancy reagan's just say no campaign? you're obviously a traitor and a terrorist!

Reply to
bridger

Companies with drug testing polices get lower rates on their workman's comp insurance.

While applying for a job is not an indication of substance abuse, there are many abusers that apply for jobs. Passing a test in not an indictor of not abusing drugs either.

Drug testing is also a way to legally and easily get rid of an employee that is using drugs and causing problems (like theft, property damage etc.) . . Yes, I have first hand experience in doing just that. Damned good workers if they could stay straight, a danger to others if they were not. Had to say goodbye.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You mean that search they did on me *wasn't* required?

Son of a bitch.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Quick