A fun ppportunity to overdesign something! : )

Certainly that would work. But I don't think that much "complexity" is called for in this application, a thin rubber pad would probably suffice. Size is an issue too, as my front case fan has to blow air passed it. it will sit right in front of a 140mm case fan, and the only source of air coming into my computer case (there is a fan in the back and two on top, a CPU-AIO cooler, forcing air out). I agree that the price is very good, I paid twice as much for a similar one from Grizzly.

Reply to
Bill

Thank you for your suggestion! I happen to have a few similar magnets. Keep in mind that the GPU has strong (vibrating) fans, that go on and off repeatedly. While I wish it would, I'm not sure I trust a super glue joint to hold up to that for as many years as I typically use my system for. I'm on year 8 for my current system, and intend to also re-use the graphics card I am searching for now (Nvidia 3000 series) in my next system. One can get a used RTX 3070 for the *same* price as a new (entry level) RTX 3050, and the RTX 3050, being relatively new, is not really available used. Nvidia has decided they want to sell their cards for quite a bit more money than they used to, and I really don't wish to encourage them by buying a new card. I'm not a "gamer", but I do have one AI-related program whose performance depends on OpenCL performance (it is AI related, "does a lot of math", and prefers to do it on a GPU over the CPU). Doing a web search with "OpenCl Benchmarks" yields a website with a benchmark score for every GPU you can think of, which I have found handy.

Reply to
Bill

Heat will degrade super glue over time, but at the bottom of your support sticking to the case not so much, right.

Reply to
Markem618

I didn't have so much concern about heat, but about the vibrations coming from other end of the support. Although it says online that super glue works on wood, I have concerns about the durability of the connection (to unfinished wood). I really don't know. As my magnets (which came out of old disk drives) are not round, it would be a fair amount of work to inset them, and use epoxy adhesive, which I thought of doing. If I locate a thin sheet of rubber (something like an old inner tube from a bicycle) I may test that to see if it "sticks" to the bottom of the case (which has a nice shiny finish). Where is that old inner tube when you need it! ; ) My next graphics card auction isn't for a couple days, so I still have time! One seller had 4 cards on E-bay the other day, all closing within 6 minutes. And my computer went blue screen after placing a bid at the end of one of the 2nd auction, so I missed the rest. E-bay was very interested in learning all of the details, but they did nothing to recompense me for my inconvenience (even after I hinted!--I said, "Maybe you could offer me a coupon or something for my inconvenience?". But those details fell on deaf ears!).

Reply to
Bill

What I meant was to use the base as a starting point. I believe the thread on the top is 1/4-20 so it would be easy to mount some sort of support tower on that. I didn't mean to use the rest of the tool.

Reply to
krw

Actually I would probably just use some plumbing pipe insulation between the cards, it would keep the cards in place and offer some cushioning.

Reply to
Markem618

Be careful, as the foam may be conductive, or may melt when in contact with a power transistor on the card.

I'd also avoid placing magnets anywhere near the motherboard.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yes, that makes sense. It would be rock solid! I'm pretty sure my case is made of steel, but it someone had an aluminum case they might be out of luck. I'll take another look my case tonight!

Reply to
Bill

Better yet find a real desktop case rather than a tower, but I believe they have gone extinct.

Reply to
Markem618

Cushioning is a nice thought, but if it "gives" an 1/4" over time, you've defeated the whole purpose. You could always readjust, but I'm striving for something that "just works" without requiring any further intervention or maintenance from me. : ) I think our model so far is pretty good.

Reply to
Bill

Yes, that would be "really funny" (not ha ha) if you flashed your own bios! : )

Reply to
Bill

Why do you sugggest that? That sounds like a waste of valuable desk space (if I am understanding you correctly). Wait til they come out with cases to better support the new Nvidia 4090, it's huge, and it has huge power demands (and cooling demands).

Reply to
Bill

A desktop case would put the cards in a vertical postition gravity would no longer be a problem.

I have no need of the latest and greatest.

Reply to
Markem618

Ah, I agree that these big cards should go in vertically, or at least be better supported. The current situation is silly!

I have been thinking that way more and more. How many "cores" do we need?... But you won't find lower end graphics cards like the Nvidia

1660 super discounted much either (priced almost exactly the same as RTX 3050). Nvidia doesn't seem to care for us folks who are seeking a good deal! : )
Reply to
Bill

Bitcoin mining inflated prices of high end video cards.

Reply to
Markem618

Looked at Newegg for old style desktop cases found this,

Bit pricey though.

Reply to
Markem618

Wow. I have never seen anything like that. If you need something like that, you might as well build it yourself out of wood. I recall hearing long ago that a PC wouldn't run if it wasn't in a case, but I never understood why. I don't see how the components would "know". Can you confirm or deny?

Reply to
Bill

That would be unlikely, as flash is not magnetic media.

On the other hand, a magnet near the mainboard can affect with the high frequency signal paths between DRAM and the processor socket (and between the processor/southbridge and any high-speed PCIexpress adapters). A great deal of engineering goes into ensuring SI (Signal Integrity) on mainboards.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not sure, but you would need the power switch setup. Lack of a ground plane could trouble with stray RF, hard drives, power supply wires. It would be messy.

I did take an old hard drive with the top remove built in a wood box with power and a acrylic window on top for someone, you could watch the disk spin.

Reply to
Markem618

Lay it on its side and throw it under the desk.

Reply to
krw