A fun ppportunity to overdesign something! : )

My current solution for a "graphics card prop", is a 3/4" x 1.5" x h" piece of wood where, h is "just the right length". A rectangular box has been cut from the top, leaving a supporting shape (like an "L"), to cradle the corner of the card. The computer case holds one end very securely, but the other end hangs; hence the need for a support like this. What I described above took me about 10 minutes from design to implementation and has been serving just fine.

But I am planning to get a new (used) graphics card soon, and thought it appropriate to try to improve on my design! ; ) Incidentally, my design only works provided you don't move the computer, but this is not a significant problem for me.

Here is Amazon's solution:

Probably few here would pay $20 for the product above. But graphics cards have become so expensive that you can't afford to not take care of them! What would be Your design so that the "product" is "adjustable" (like the product above).

I'm been thinking about this for a few minutes, and I have an idea or two, but I thought it might be fun to give us a collective design project--sort of like they do at MIT! : )

Guidelines are "Fast, simple and cheap", with readily available materials! Have fun! Don't overthink it! "Adjustability" with the turn of a screw would be a desirable feature. Something you can have confidence in (without the need to check it) would be nice too. If you are really successful you can probably make hundreds of dollars at Amazon! Besides for notoriety here, you'll have to "cash-in" there! : ) I know this is not everyone's cup of tea! Obviously, if you don't want to think about it, then don't do it!

Reply to
Bill

No interest at all? I still think this holds its own as an "interesting problem". I think "threaded rod" might be very helpful, but if I cut it with a hack-saw, it seems like I might require a tap/die (actually a die), to get a nut on it and I lack any of those. Would a file suffice to clean up the damage left by a hack saw (so that nuts would go on)?

Reply to
Bill

Ummm.. Screw a nut on the threaded rod before cutting the rod. Then remove the nut and it will retread the rod. Cleanup any burrs with a file or wire brush before removing the nut.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you!

Reply to
Bill

I thought you were looking for a woodworking solution, though I guess you could use a wood screw (as opposed to a woodscrew).

Reply to
krw

Well, I would to use as much wood as possible (though I doubt I will apply a laquer finish). I was thinking of a wooden base with a threaded rod firmly secured. The threaded rod is one technique to support making the supports "easily adjustable". What would you propose? When I first posted the question, it didn't get a single reply!

Reply to
Bill

I didn't reply because I couldn't think of a way to do it with wood, at least one that would be even close to the one you showed. Even that seemed like a strange solution for a problem that shouldn't need solving.

Reply to
krw

This is just a concept, not a final product...modify the steps as required.

1 - Get a hardwood dowel of whatever diameter you want, like maybe 1.5". 2 - Glue the dowel into a base that has magnets embedded in the bottom like the Amazon ones so it stands up inside the case and stays where you put it. 3 - Drill a 1.5" hole in a piece of 3/4 hardwood stock and slip it over the dowel. Place the hole off center lengthwise so that you leave enough of a shelf to support the graphics card and "just enough" wood on the opposite side of the dowel for the next step. 4 - Tap the portion of the 3/4" stock that is opposite the shelf to accept a bolt.

With a nice snug hole for the dowel, you should be able to position the shelf right where you need it and then tighten the bolt against the dowel to prevent it from sliding. The bolt really won't be doing much so it shouldn't need to be so tight that it causes any damage to the dowel or the threads.

If you want to get "all woody with it" look up some YouTube's on making wooden bolts. Then make a wooden bolt to match whatever tap you choose.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, every computer case/motherboard/gpu combination is different.As you may know, some gpus are well over 10 inches long. If you have a long heavy gpu that occupies more than 2 PCI slots, it needs some support. Compatibility is addressed by the standards, but not physical configuration issues like this one. Intel and AMD aren't even including CPU coolers with their CPUs any longer, as needs vary so much from user to user. If you don't want to deal with "problems" like this, then you buy a pre-built system from an OEM like HP or Dell (who may even leave the GPU hanging like a cantilever, I'm not sure), or even Apple.

Here is a question: If the problem "shouldn't need solving", then whose job should it be to provide a solution. Case manufacturers? GPU manufacturers? motherboard manufacturers? Or the system builders. Yep.

Reply to
Bill

The case manufacturers. It's easier for them since they already have the physical structure. Since gamers are the only ones who assemble computers anymore it would seem to be an integral component of the case.

I haven't built one in 20 years. I've used nothing but laptops since their (non-gamer) performance increased more than I really need. I think Adventure was the only game I really got into. Soon after that they became too complicated to play casually.

Reply to
krw

Snip

I like Bubble Shooter.

Reply to
Leon

I build my own have since my third system I bought at a store in '94. On the sixth now, motherboards come with video on board, so all you need is a case, power supply, memory and drives. Do not like laptops as batteries suck, tablets nope. Preload crap on store bought systems are why I avoid them.

Reply to
Markem618

I can't count the number of systems I've built. I think my first was in '93 and built a couple more before I changed jobs. I spent a few years evaluating computer hardware so I had access to hundreds of different components (motherboards, graphics cards, disk drives...).

Since Li-Ion replaced NiCd, I haven't had a problem with batteries (same with tools). I use a tablet for the gym and I have another that I use at home, pretty much for YouTube. I bought it for the gym but it's an 11" (the other is a 7" and a lot more rugged) so I have to figure out a way of keeping it from falling off the treadmill.

My current laptop has a 4K display and can support three displays, two at 4K, though one is pretty slow. It's nice for CAD (Sketchup).

Reply to
krw

I wish I was only on my 6th computer. LOL. Bought my first in 1986.

The video card on board does not suite my needs. I have my computers built locally and the Radeon video card, for Sketchup, is pretty large physically, with it's own fans.

From what I understand Dell no longer loads their computers with anything but what you order.

Reply to
Leon

4K displays and the video cards to support them are cool. CAD/Sketchup drawing's diagonal/angled lines are straight and not jagged zig zag any more.
Reply to
Leon

Just for fun, I made a SketchUp model (I think everyone should use that software at least once a year whether they like it or not! : ) ) I looked inside my computer case, and realized there probably won't be room in my case for a support on the end of the card, so I will likely support it from underneath, between the middle and the end of the card, but not *from* the end.

I posted two jpg's to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking for your possible entertainment. Washers, nuts and other hardware is not illustrated, and it's not exactly to scale.

I still need to see if can find a "threaded sleeve" to fit in the top support, fitting the 3/8" threaded rod. That will be where the vertical adjustment lies. Please let me know if this "threaded sleeve" is easily available? I thought of gluing 3 or 4 nuts together, but that doesn't seem right.

At least I tried to make this fun (for you!) : )

P.S. I took another look, and I didn't see anything on the market long enough for a case as tall as mine. Most of the GPU "Props" don't go to 8 or 9 inches. So it is nice to be able to scrounge something together myself. My next GPU Auction is Saturday! I can't afford or justify the current market prices of buying "new"--or at least, I like what I can get "used" better than what I can get buying new, for almost exactly the same price. Cheers! -Bill

Reply to
Bill

I understand it but how do you keep it in place? I have the same question about the retail version.

How about threaded inserts? Put as many in the hole as floats your boat.

Reply to
krw

Some of them have magnets on the bottom and some of them have adhesive pads. I am going to see if Menards has some sort of "easy to apply" magnetic pads. If I raise to to high enough, so that it's snug, I feel pretty confident that it won't be going anywhere. Gravity will do it's job. The other end of the card is firmly attached to the case--we're just supporting the "cantilever".

The primitive wooden support I am currently using worked fine until after I "disturbed" the case (it sits along a "path" and I inadvertently bumped into it). The monitor started not waking from sleep with the rest of the computer. It was a month before I (mentally) made the possible association, and took off the cover to take a look. But after I re-positioned the wooden support, that problem mysteriously disappeared. So the moral of that experience is that support for a long graphics card matters. Maybe not always, but sometimes (for sure)!

Reply to
Bill

The magnetic pads I've seen aren't all that great. A rare-earth magnet recessed into the support would work better. Even better yet:

I don't think you'll ever find a mag-switch cheaper than this. IIRC, they're threaded for 1/4-20 so great for photographic accessories. They aren't wimps, either.

Reply to
krw

Might 19 to many in the pack, but a bit of super glue on one of these.

Markem618